Home Contact Us Clark County Message Board
|BACK TO FAMILY RECORDS INDEX|
THE PENDLETON FAMILY
6 January 2003
Submitted by Janet Barnhill, BarnhillJ at tessco.com, 5/14/2008
Sources and Abbreviations Used:
A: Katherine Cox Gottschalk and John Bailey Calvert Nicklin, “The Pendleton Family,” Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 39.
B: Knorr, Marriages of Orange Co., Virginia.
G: Dorothy Ford Wulfeck. Marriages of Some Virginia Residents 1607-1800. Repr.: Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Go., 1986.
1. GEORGE PENDLETON (# 8960 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), was born on c1558 at Pendleton, and died on 27 Oct 1603 at St. Stephen’s, Norwich. He married on 29 July 1579 at St. Peter’s, Norwich, Elizabeth Pettingale, who was born on 1582 at Swardiston, Norfolk, Eng., on 27 Jan 1625 at St. Stephen’s, Norwich, Eng.A: 39:279).
George and Elizabeth were the parents of (A 39:279):
i. George, d. young.
2. Henry, b. 1583, d. 1635, married on Susan Camden,
iii. Francis, buried 8 Oct 1618, married on and had issue.
v. George, buried 1 June 1621, married and had issue.
2. HENRY PENDLETON (# 4480 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), son of George (1) and Elizabeth, was born on 12 Aug 1580 at Mancroft, Norwich, Co. Norfolk, Eng., and died on 15 July 1635 at St. Stephen’s, Norwich. He married on 20 Sep 1605 at SS Simon and Jude, Norwich, Norfolk, Susan Camden, who was born on 8 Nov 1584, at Norwich. (A: 39:279-280).
Henry and Susan were the parents of (A:39:279-280):
i. George, b. and d. in 1607.
ii. Cecily, bapt. 3 July 1608, m. Thomas Fitton.
iii. John, bapt. 1608, buried 1637.
iv. Susan, bapt.1609, buried 1637.
v. Henry, b. and d. 1613.
3. . Henry, b. 1614.
vii. Anne, bapt. 1615.
viii. Abigail, b. and d. 1617.
ix. Thomas, bapt. 1619.
x. Matilda, b. 1620, d. 1622.
xi. Mary, bapt. 1623.
xii. Matthew, b. 1624, d. 1626.
xiii. George, bapt. 1626.
3. HENRY PENDLETON of Norwich, Co. Norfolk, Eng. (# 2240 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), [son of Henry (2) and Susan, may have been born on 26 Dec 1614 in Norwich, Norfolk, Eng., and died on there He married 2nd Elizabeth Douglass, who was born on c1623, Norwich, Norfolk, Eng., died on 1708 at Mancroft, Norwich, Norfolk, Eng. (A: 39:280-281).
Henry and Elizabeth were the parents of (A:39:280-281):
i. Nathaniel, b. 1650, came to VA.
4. Philip, b. 26 March 1654.
4. PHILIP PENDLETON (# 1120 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), son of Henry (3) and Elizabeth, was born on 26 March 1654 and died on 9 Nov 1721 in King and Queen Co., VA. A schoolmaster, he went to VA, returned to Eng., and then came back to VA. He married Isabella Hurt, was born on 26 April 1654 in King and Queen or else New Kent Co., VA, died on 6 Nov 1724 in Caroline Co., VA
Philip and Isabella were the parents of (A: 39:281-282):
i. Henry, b. 1638, d. 1721.
ii. Elizabeth, b. 1685, d. 1761, m. Samuel Clayton.
iii. Isabella, m. Richard Thomas.
iv. John, b. 1691, d. 1776, m. Mary Tinsley
v. Rachel, m. John Vass.
5. Philip, b. 1695.
vii. Catherine, b. 1699, m. John Taylor,.
5. PHILIP PENDLETON, Jr., (# 560 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), son of Philip (4) and Isabella, was born on 1695in King and Queen Co., VA, and died on 1753 in Amherst Co., VA. He married c1719 Elizabeth Pollard, who was born on c1700, died on 1751. She was a sister of Joseph Pollard who died on 1791 (G: cites 39V282, 41V86, 43V171, 24W(1) 256).
Philip and Elizabeth were the parents of (A:43:278):
i. Sarah, b. c1720, m. Joseph Thomas
ii. Mary, b. c1722, m. Edmund Waller Waller.
6. Henry, b. 1724.
iv. Benjamin, m. Mary Macon.
v. Philip, settled in Buckingham Co., VA.
vi. Edmund, b. 1730, d. 1779.
vii. John, b. c1734.
viii. Priscilla, b. c1736, m. on William Harwood.
6. Lieut. HENRY PENDLETON, (# 280 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), son of Philip (5) and Elizabeth, was born on c1724 in Spotsylvania Co., VA, and died on there c1818. He married on there c1743, Martha Curtis, who was born on c1727/8 in VA, died on after 1774 (A 43:278; his marriage not in G).
On 6 Dec 1743, as Henry Pendleton, Gent., he was commissioned as Lieut. of foot under his bro.-in-law Edmund Waller (C:757). [This service makes his descendants eligible for membership in the Society of Colonial Wars—RWB] Lieut. Pendleton was granted a certificate for supplies he furnished the use of the Continental Army (C:757). [This service qualifies his ancestors for membership in the SAR and DAR-RWB].
Lieut. Henry and Martha were the parents of (A: 43:278):
i. Henry, m. Ann Knight.
ii. Frances, m. John Arnold.
iii. John, m. Sarah Alsop.
iv. Philip, m. Mildred Thomas.
v. Curtis, m. Nancy [-?-].
7. Rice, m. Elizabeth Quisenberry.
vii. Martha, b. c1766, m. Massey Thomas, Jr.
viii. Robert, m. Elizabeth Burris.
7. RICE PENDLETON, Sr. (# 140 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), was born on c1765 in Spotsylvania Co., VA, and died on by 19 Dec 1823 in Bath Co., KY. He married on 3 Nov 1788 in Orange Co., VA (A; B:67) Elizabeth Quisenberry, who was born on c1770 in VA, died on after 1827 (A).
Rice and Elizabeth were the parents of (A 44:68):
i. Thacker, b. 1791, m. Polly Roundtree.
8. Rice, Jr. , b. 1793, m. Elizabeth (Judy) Constant.
vi. Thrashley, m. Artemsia McClain (or McClure).
vii. Sally, m. Daniel Wade.
viii. Betsy, m. Thomas Hicks.
ix. Patsy, m. Jonathan Crouch.
x. Jane, m. Robert Boggs.
xi. Lucy, m. [-?-] Evans/
8. RICE PENDLETON, Jr. (#70 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), son of Rice (7) and Elizabeth, was born on [c1781?] in Spotsylvania Co., KY, and died on c1868 in Clark Co., KY. He married on 21 Nov 1816 in Clark Co., KY, Elizabeth Judy, who died on after 1843, in Clark Co., KY. She had married on 1st, on 30 March 1808, Jacob Constant.
Rice and Elizabeth were the parents of (A 44:68):
i. Elizabeth, m. George Hardman.
ii. Emily, m. Robert Scobee.
iii. Lucy Anne (#35 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), b. 24 Aug 1827 in Clark Co., KY, d. there on 22 Dec 1854, m. 14 May 1846, Robert Scobee, who was b. Nov 1818 in Clark Co., KY, and d. there on 26 April 1882.
iv. David J., b. 1824, m. Elizabeth Anne Lindsay.
9. LUCY ANN PENDLETON (#35 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), b. 24 Aug 1827 in Clark Co., KY, d. there on 22 Dec 1854, m. 14 May 1846 (Clark Co. Order Book, 1830-1852), Robert Scobee, b. Nov 1818 in Clark Co., KY, d. there on 26 April 1882, m. there on 14 May 1846 He m. 2nd, Sarah [-], b. 1820 in KY.
10. EMMA AMELIA SCOBEE (#17 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), b. 25 Feb 1854, in Clark Co., KY, d. 14 Feb 1930 in Marshall, MO. m. 16 Dec 1874 in Clark Co., KY, Joseph William Barnhill, Jr., b. 18 March 1849 in Henry Co., KY, d. 30 July 1912 in Marshall, MO.
11. EDGAR PENDLETON BARNHILL (#8 on Barnhill Ancestor Chart), b. 11 Nov 1881 in Marshall, MO, d. there on 19 Sep 1948, m. there on 1 Jan 1908, Marie Anna Sellers, b. 27 Feb 1888 in Wanamaker., MO, d. 23 Dec 1975 in Marshall, MO.
Thank You for stopping by! Please sign our Guestbook
Copyright © 2005 - 2009