Clark County was formed from Bourbon and Fayette in 1792.  The county seat is the city of Winchester.

  

 

Home

Contact Us

Site Search

 

 

Resources

 

Data Records

 
EARLY SETTLEMENTS IN CLARK COUNTY
SCHOLL'S STATION

submitted by Darla Woosley

This is a transcript of several articles which were reprinted in the CLARK COUNTY CHRONICLES "Conducted and Collaborated by the Clark County Historical Society" beginning May 31, 1923. All punctuation and spelling is left as it was in the original reprint.

The Scholl Settlement was made in pioneer days by the Scholls, relatives of Daniel Boone, on the thousand acre tract which Daniel Boone preempted and afterward transferred to his cousin, William Scholl, and embraced much of the land now occupied by the town of Schollsville and vicinity including the home of one of the members and offices of our society, Mr. Asa C. Barrow, and the former home of the late John T. Quisenberry, and his grandsons, Fleming Quisenberry and John T. Quisenberry, Jr., this latter house being a portion of one of the original houses embraced in the Station.

Daniel Boone located this on account of the fine spring, which is still a note one, near the present turnpike from Schollsville to Kiddville, at the site of the Boone elm, a portion of which tree is in the Society's collection. This noted spring was also near one of the two trails that led from the town at Indian Fields to the Buffalo Trail from Boonesborough to the Blue Lick to the Ohio River and passing through the eastern suburbs of Winchester. The main trail from the Great Warriors' Path and Indian Fields followed almost the present line of the Winchester and Ironworks turnpike to what is now Winchester and the two trails joined just east of the present city.

Boone selected this tract on account of its being so finely watered and its rich soil and beautifully and gently rolling surface. This article is compiled largely from the notes furnished by Mr. Asa C. Barrow, one of the Scholl descendents and whose home is a portion of the original School tract.

Scholl's Station was built by the three sons of William Scholl, namely Peter, Abraham, and Joseph, about 1781 or 1782, on a tract of land which had been preempted by Daniel Boone in 1775 and '76, and awarded to him by the first land court of Kentucky on December 24, 1779.

William Scholl and his wife, Leah Morgan, were the parents of two brothers who married into the Boone family. Little is known of the ancestry of William Scholl, as careful investigation fails to reveal any definite information concerning it. The ancestry of his wife, Leah Morgan, seems just as difficult to trace. There is a theory that William Scholl's parents were Peter Scholl and wife, Sarah Colyer. Peter Scholl lived in the Raritan district in New Jersey from 1714 to 1731 and then disappeared from that region leaving no trace. Sarah Conyer was a Scotch woman and apparently his second wife. To them were born two children, Deborah, in 1728, and William, in 1731. The family tradition is that William married Leah Morgan.

In Virginia, also, appears record of a Scholl family. From records it is found that as early as 1742, and perhaps early as 1738, Jaist (or Juist) Hite and a Peter Scholl were associated with each other in the Shennandoah Valley. Hite recruited in New York, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania for his southern colonies, and hence, may have induced Peter Scholl to leave New Jersey and settle in the Shenanndoah Valley. There is, however, no definite record to connect this Peter Scholl with the family that settled in Clark County in the early days. It is only the result of an investigation which may prove of interest to the Scholl descendents. It is more probable that William Scholl is the son of Jacob Scholl, who was born in Germany and immigrated to America early in life.

William Scholl was a native of the Shennandoah Valley of Virginia, and moved with his wife and family of ten children to Kentucky in the fall of 1779, and arrived at Boonesborough on December 25, where they met Daniel Boone, who was there attending the court held for the purpose of adjusting disputed titles to the Kentucky lands. On the same day the Scholls, accompanied by Daniel Boone, passed over the river and camped about four miles from Boonesborough, and the following day reached Boone's Station, where they erected half-faced camps made of boards and forked sticks, and they lived in these until March, when the snow melted, and they then erected cabins and a stockade with port holes, but they were never attacked by the Indians. This was during the hard winter of 1779 and '80 and the Scholls and Boones ate their last bread on Christmas day, 1779, and were therefore without this article of food until the following summer, when their crop of corn matured.

After a time, William Scholl established his home in what was then Fayette County, on Marble creek, near William Hays, a son-in-law of Daniel Boone, and close to where Daniel made his home after he lost the land upon which he built his station.

Peter Scholl, who was the oldest of the three sons of William Scholl, was a Revolutionary soldier and saw extensive service before he came to Kentucky, having been in the battles of Point Pleasant and King's Mountain. He served two years and six months and all the pay he received was five dollars in Continental money, which he gave in exchange for a bushel of salt. He also participated in the Indian Wars in Kentucky and in the campaigns against the Indians of the North and was a lieutenant under Daniel Boone in the raid against the Miami Indians. He was at the Battle of Blue Licks and one of a number of whites behind a shell bark hickory when a bullet from the Indians struck the tree shattering the bark and splinters flew into his face cutting him badly and causing profuse bleeding. Peter sprang up and putting his hands over his face ran to the rear exclaiming "I am a dead man", but was really not seriously hurt. He was one of those who agreed to meet Cincinnati fifty years after the battle with the Miami Indians, but he died ten years before the appointed time.

Peter Scholl was a native of the Shennandoah Valley of Virginia, and about 1782 married Mary Boone, the daughter of Edward Boone and niece of Daniel Boone. Their son, John, gave the following information to Draper in 1808: "Peter Scholl, a native of the Shennandoah Valley, died on the waters of Stoner, Clark county, Kentucky, September 11, 1821. He was probably born about 1754. In about 1782, married Mary Boone, the daughter of Edward Boone (brother of Daniel Boone), she perhaps about eighteen at the time and he about ten years her senior. Hence Peter Scholl, when he died was about 67 years old. Mrs. Mary Scholl died at the same place September 28, 1825. ***Peter Scholl was in the Battle of Blue Licks. He was also in the battle of Point Pleasant, W. Va. He wore short breeches, long silk stockings, and queued his hair, wore large knee and shoe buckles, long vest and coat. He memorialized Congress for a pension, but got none because he was in good circumstances. Peter Scholl was a lieutenant under Daniel Boone with George Rogers Clark, in 1782."

Abraham Scholl was also a Revolutionary soldier, having served three months when about sixteen years old. He, too, was in the campaigns against the northern Indians and at the battle of Blue Licks. He passed Israel Boone and saw the blood spurting from his breast but being hard pressed could not stop to render him assistance. When Scholl reached the river, he said to his companion, Andrew Morgan, "I am afraid I can't get over the river with my rifle." Morgan said to him "Hold on to my shoulder as we pass the river and we will mutually support each other." They did so and Scholl saved his rifle. At the deepest part, the water came up to their shoulders, and after they had neared the farther shore, Morgan said to Scholl, "You can wade out now, I am going to stop to get a drink", and though bullets were whizzing past his head and splashing water over him he paused long enough to quench his thirst.

Joseph Scholl was born in 1755 and died in 1835. He married about 1875, Lavinia Boone, daughter of Daniel Boone. It is quite probable that he was born in the Shannandoah Valley in Virginia, as his older brother, Peter, was born there. In 1779, he came to Kentucky and settle. No doubt he was in a great many Indian fights, for we know that he was in the battle of Blue Licks in August 1782.

"About 1802 or '04, Joseph Scholl, Sr., Jesse Boone, David Denton and one Van Bibber went to Missouri to see the country. Joseph Scholl had the new rifle made for him by Daniel Bryant (nephew of Daniel Boone) a famous rifle maker in his day. While Scholl was in Missouri, Daniel Morgan Boone (son of Daniel Boone) borrowed this gun to take on a hunt he and his father were planning to make in the fall, promising to return it the next summer when he went to Kentucky on a visit. While on this hunting trip an Indian stole the gun from Daniel Morgan Boone, and we are not told whether Joseph Scholl, the rightful owner, ever regained his gun. We may surmise that he did, however, from this statement of Joseph Scholl, Jr., who tells this narrative:

"As the Indian departed with his illy gotten prize, Daniel Morgan Boone asked his father for his gun, saying he was not disposed to lose his fine rifle." No doubt a little rifle skirmish brought back the stolen property. Joseph Scholl died in Clark county leaving a number of children, all of whom except Joseph Jr., the youngest, died prior to 1868.

Scholl's Station was never attacked by the Indians, but the neighborhood was frequently harassed by predator raids made by small bands. In 1793 the Station was threatened by the last party of Indians that ever made war upon the Kentuckians. The settlers in the vicinity were warned of the approach of this hostile band and gathered at the station to defend it leaving their home unprotected in some cases at least. One of these was Samuel Tribble who lived at what is now L & E Junction, about one hundred yards northwest of the present depot. During the night his wife heard a great commotion at the barnyard and she and an old negro slave named Rosa sallied forth armed with fire tongs to investigate. This shows that the women at home were as brave as the men at the fort. They found a wolf intent on reaching a young calf confined in a rail pen. Aunt Rosa slipped up behind the wolf unnoticed and laying the tongs across her shoulder took deliberate aim, breathed a prayer and landed on the wolf's head and put a sudden end to his depredation. The band of Indians turned east before reaching Scholl's Station and attacked Morgan's Station on Slate Creek, about seven miles east of Mount Sterling, and killed or captured the inmates. The captives were released by the treaty of 1795. One old negro saw a crow light on one of the buildings and he took this as an omen of approaching danger and would not sleep in the fort that night, but hid and thus escaped. While this Station was never attacked, they were often annoyed by Indians on stealing expeditions. They had a negro girl stolen from them on one occasion, the Indians hiding in a thicket near the spring from which they obtained their water. The girl afterwards returned. The Scholls retaliated by stealing an Indian girl on one of their expeditions against the Indians.

As has already been stated, Joseph Scholl married Lavinia Boone, daughter of Daniel Boone, and when Boone came back to Kentucky in 1801, he visited his daughter, Mr. Scholl. He went from Scholl's home to Winchester one day, taking with him his grandson, Septimus Scholl. Septimus was told by his mother to get some coffee while in town; but Septimus was so engrossed with the strange and interesting sights that he saw in town that he forgot it. Returning home that evening they had gotten as far as the place where the C & O Railroad now crosses the Iron Works Pike, when Boone said to his grandson, "Septy, did you get that coffee for your mother?" Septimus exclaimed, "Oh! Grandpa, I forgot it. You sit here in the shade while I go back after it." Boone rested until his grandson went to town and returned.

Boone had a daughter, Rebecca, who married Phillip Goe. She died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Scholl, and two of Daniel Boone's daughters are buried in Clark County, somewhere within the bounds of this Boone pre-emption and settlement of 1,400 acres. This tract of land also includes one of the highest points in Clark County, being 1,100 feet above sea-level.

Phillip Goe was the ancestor of the numerous Goe family of Estill and Lee counties, one of whom, Hon. Ben T. Goe, represented those counties in the Legislature of 1883-4.

While the Kentucky pioneers suffered much from the relentless warfare upon them by the Indians, they suffered far more financially because of the losses sustained through defective and conflicting titles to the lands they had obtained from Virginia under the various laws passed for the purpose of disposing of these lands to settlers.

On June 25, 1776, the Virginia Convention passed a resolution that all those actually settled in Kentucky should be given preference to the lands they claimed, and the General Assembly, in October, 1776, followed this resolution with an act providing that all who had taken up lands in Kentucky prior to June 24, 1776, should have title to 400 acres. A law passed two years later, October 1779, gave to each settler who had been in Kentucky prior to January 1778 and had raised a crop of corn, 400 acres as a settlement and a pre-emption of 1,000 acres. A cabin had to erected to secure this pre-emption. Lands taken up after January, 1778, were to be passed upon by a court of Land Commissioners named in a law of the same year.

Under these laws, settlers would clear a small piece of ground; build a frail cabin and raise a small patch of corn near the center of the tract they wished to claim. Afterwards, they made a claim for this land to a court provided for that purpose and then took their time to have it surveyed and its boundaries marked and then patented. Fourteen hundred acres of land is considerably more than two square miles, and as the country was covered with dense forests, the settlers would frequently locate their cabins and patches of corn near each other without any means of knowing this and, therefore, when they had their claims surveyed they often over-lapped and great confusion and litigation resulted. This is how Daniel Boone lost much of the land he claimed in Kentucky. The Scholls also lost heavily in the same way.

One December 24, 1779, the Court of Land Commissioners, sitting at Boonesboro issued Daniel Boone the following certificate:

"Daniel Boone, this day claimed a settlement & preemption to a tract of land in the district of Kentucky lying on the waters of the licking including a small spring on the North East side of a small branch a Camp and some Bushes Cut down at the same about 20 Miles East of Boonesborough by the said Boons settlement & raising a Crop of Corn in the Country in the year 1775 & 1776 satisfactory proof being made to the Court they are of the Opinion that the said Boone has a right to a settlement of 400 Acres of land including the above location & the preemption of 1000 Acres adjoining Cert. Issue according."

This land was not surveyed and the lines and the corners marked until August, 1783. Daniel Boone, William Scholl, William Hays, Robert Boog, Samuel Shortridge, Peter Scholl, Abraham Scholl, Killis Mounce, and Samuel Boone composed the survey party.

Enos Hardin was the first to set up a claim to a portion of the Scholls' land. This Hardin was afterward County Clerk of Mercer county and ancestor of a large family of Hardins now living in that county. In order to raise the money to defend their title to this land the Scholls sold about 80 acres to George Fry, and in proof of their claim they had the depositions of Flanders Calloway and Samuel Boone taken. Evangelis Harden made a deposition in behalf of Enos Hardin. These depositions follow verbatim:

The Deposition of Flanders Calloway of full age, taken before the Commissioners Appointed by the Worshipful Court of Clarke County for the purpose of perpetuating testimony on an improvement made at the spring on the N.E. side of a branch by Col. Daniel Boone and now belonging to Peter Scholl. Deposeth and saith that in the latter end of the month of November 1779 he the deponent Came in Company with Col. Daniel Boone to this spring and encamted within two rod of said. Spring and the next morning the said. Boone and myself turned out for to hunt, and about nine Oclock he returned to the Camp and found sd. Boone there and this Deponent further said that he prosed to the sd. Boone as there appeared to be a quantity of good land for them to make some marks and divide the land between them on which this Deponent saith he took his Tommahawk to make some marks and the sd. Boone told him that he was two late and this Deponent further saith that on Boones telling him that he was too late he then examined to see if there was any Chopping or marks to be seen, and when he the Deponent had Examined he could not discern that there was any and on this the sd. Boone told this deponent for to look on the lower side of the spanish Oak that stands about two Rod above the head of the sd. Spring and when I examined the sd. Tree I found it to be marked with the first two letters of Boons name and this Deponent further saith that he and said Boone at that time had some Conversation about the Distance from this spring to Boonesboro and we concluded it to be about twenty miles from the course we came and further this Deponent saith not.

Quest. 1 by Peter Scholl did you at the time that you and Boone came to this spring Discover any stumps or improvement of any kind.
Ans. I did not.

Quest. 2nd by the same did it appear as if there had been any encamping or burnt logs by Hunters or other when you Came here with Boone.
Ans. It did not appear.

Quest. 3th by the same do you know this to be the spring and place of encampment called for in Daniel Boones entry with the Commissioners.
Ans. I do.

Quest. 4th by the same are you intrusted in this claim whether gain or loss.
Ans. I am not.
Flanders Calloway
Clarke County sc
The foregoin Deposition of Flanders Calloway being Duly sworn before us the subscribing Commissioners at a spring on the North East side of a small branch and a red Oak anciently marked DB (D reversed) called for in Daniel Boons Entry in the presents of Paul Huls and Micajah Callaway Disinterested Witnesses and have Caused a red oak Tree to be marked with the letter Y Given under our hands this 18th of Nov. 1796.
Wm. Payne
Abraham Miller
Paul Hulse
His
Micajah X Calloway
Mark

The Deposition of Samuel Boone of full age taken before the Commissioners appointed by the Worshipful Court of Clarke County fore the purposes of Perpetuating Testimony on an improvement made by Col. Daniel Boone and now belonging to Peter Scholl Deposeth and saith that in the month of August 1783 I came to this place in Company of Daniel Boon, William Scholl, William hays, Robert Boogs, Samuel Shortridge, Peter Shull, Abraham Scholl, and Killis Mounce in order to survey a settlement and preemption for sd. Daniel Boone and I tarried at this place and near about here one day by myself whilst the others went a surveying and to amuse myself walked about looking for nothing particular but to pass the time away (being alone) and I saw no old Improvement of any kind but some old Camp poles which sd. Daniel Boone said were his old Camp poles nor stumps nor Chopt trees nor Bushes but the red Oak near the spring marked this DB (D reversed) and further this Deponent saith not.

Quest. 1st by Peter Scholl are you interested in this claim whether gain or loss.
Ans. I am not.

Quest. 2nd by the same are you sure that this is the place where we lost you when we went to make the survey of Daniel Boons settlement and preemption.
Ans. I am sure that it is.

Quest. 3rd by the same did you discover any marks of fire or logs Burnt that might destroy any former improvement made at this place.
Ans. I did not.
Samuel Boone
Clarke County sc.
The foregoing Deposition taken before us the Commissioners Appointed by the County Court of Clarke at a spring on the North East side of a small Branch Calld for in Daniel Boons Entry in the presence of Paul Huls, Micajah Callaway Disinterested Witnesses and have Caused a red Oak to be marked with the letter Y. Given under our hands this 18th Nov. 1796.
Wm. Payne
Abraham Miller
Paul Hulse
His
Micajah X Calloway
Mark

The deposition of Vengelis Hardin being of full age Taken this the third day of Oct. 1796 by us Original Young and Samuel McKee Commissioners appointed by the County Court of Clarke Pursuant to an act of the assembly entitled an act for ascertaining the Boundries of Land & for other purposes after being first Sworn at a Spring which is now on the Plantation of Peter Shulls Disposeth and saith that some time in the month of July 1775 this Deponent started from Harrods Burgh in Company with Patrick Jordan and others and came to Stoner Waters at Which Time myself and Patrick Jordan Made an Emprovement for Enos Hardin at the spring where Peter Shell now lives and know it to be the place perfectly well and about a half a mile below another Emprovement which was made for John Swernee and the improvement made where Peter Shull now lives was made and intended for my Brother Enos Hardin and that it was frequently talked over in the Company and well known to be Enos Hardins Emprovement nor do I know of no other being made for Said Enos Hardin.
Quest. 1 by Peter Shull Did you obtain a Settlement & Premption for the same years service in which you say you made for this Enos Hardin.
Ans. Yes

Quest. 2nd. By the same are you any ways intrusted in this Survey if Gained or lost or ever was.
Ans. I am not intrusted.

Question. 3d. by the same Did you not tell my father Wm. Shull that you Built a Cabbin Seven or Eight logs High and Cleared a Small Track out of the way of half an acre to.
Ans. I did not tell you father that I had put up the Cabbin Loggs Seven or Eight high.

Quest. 4th. By the same do you no Wheather them other persons in Company with you Obtained premption for the Same years service.
Ans. I don't know that

{the rest of the answer is missing from the article and so is most of the final statements of the Commissioners but the witnesses were Bennett Clarke and Josiah Collins}

The parties to this suit, Peter Scholl and Enos Hardin, finally agreed upon a compromise, as a result of which Enos Hardin was to receive two hundred acres of this land and a sum of money to be paid to him by Peter Scholl. When the money came due, however, Scholl was unable to meet the obligation and came near being sent to jail on this account, as the records n the Clark County Clerk's office show.

The Scholls also lost 296 acres of land to Ephraim Drake, a quantity to one Crockett, and another tract of 85 acres to John Price. This tract, as laid out by Daniel Boone, was in the form of a parallelogram, the north and south boundaries being 1.4 miles long and the east and west boundaries 1.78 miles in length. The northeast corner is near the home of Mrs. Mattie Baird, which was formerly known as the Moore place. The northern boundary line passes a short distance south of Hedges Station and continues west and south so as to include nearly all of the farm of W. Tom Gordan. Just north of this settlement was the Mathew Thomson Settlement, which included part of the tract formerly owned by Simon Kenton; this will be more fully described later. On the western boundary the Boone tract joined a 500 acre tract patented by Jeremiah Craig, a noted Kentucky pioneer and Indian fighter. He was at Bryan's Station at the time it was besieged.

On account of these losses and other financial misfortunes, Abraham Scholl sold his land and moved to Pike county Illinois in 1826. The home place, comprising 103 acres of this land, was sold to Thomson Duvall, and later conveyed by him to Rev. Thomas Boone, a noted, highly respected and well beloved Baptist preacher, who was many years the pastor of Lulbegrud Church.

In 1851, Thomas Boone sold this tract to Sampson Harmon, a farmer and singing school teacher, who in turn sold it in 1854 to John H. Quesenberry and moved to Missouri. In one respect, at least, Sampson Harmon was one of the most remarkable characters who ever lived in the State. He might not have been the equal physically in every respect of the Biblical character for whom he was named; but he was the equal, if not the superior in another respect, and that was in his voice. It is said that when speaking in an ordinary tone he could easily be heard for half a mile and his laugh was so loud an uproarious that he became noted all over this State and Missouri. On one occasion when he came in from that section of Missouri where he lived to Kansas City, he was taken by one of his friends to see a comic play and at each funny feature Harmon laughed so loud and long that nothing else could be heard in the building and he had to be put out. A similar incident occurred with him in St. Louis and each city he was copiously written up in the daily press and detailed descriptions given of his wonderful laughing ability. About thirty-five years ago, Harmon returned to Winchester to visit the few remaining friends of his youth then living. The next morning after his arrival he was directed to the office of a son of his old friends and on being introduced the latter recalled to Mr. Harmon a funny story about him that had been told him by his father. At this, Harmon began laughing uproariously and continuously and the windows of the office being open the people up and down Main Street for several squares flocked around to see what was the matter. Harmon was then taken down to the street and introduced to many of the crowd and at the least humorous remark or story he would laugh for ten minutes and so loudly and infectiously that the crowd would join in and this performance continued for hours and probably no similar event in Winchester was enjoyed as much as Harmon's laughing stay in the town.

There is another story related of Sampson Harmon's grandfather which, quoting one of the pioneers inhabitants, was to the effect that "on or near the spot where the old Rees House stood, Samps Harmon's father was devoured by a bar, in the cane brake thereon". This story was related hundreds of times by the old inhabitants, and on one occasion when one of the young boys of Winchester attended the old County Fair in the Grigsby Woods, he wore a long tailed coat belonging to his grandfather that nearly touched the ground. One of the attractions at the Fair was a side show which included a performing bear. The bear being outside the tent became angered at something and startled the boy with the lng tailed coat and the youth made great speed to the nearest tree climbing up the tree as fast as possible, but was unable to elude the bear in time to prevent the latter from tearing of the long tailed coat to the shoulders. The boy escaped injury, but was afterwards nicknamed Samps Harmon by his companions. Many of the older inhabitants will vouch for the authenticity of both of these stories.

A large portion of the Scholl tract was acquired by Septimus Scholl from different heirs at various times, until he became the owner of several hundred. In 1844, he sold between three and four hundred acres of the tract, including the home place, to James Halley, who, after residing in the Scholl house for two or three years, erected a large mansion on the hill overlooking the entire tract and added many other handsome improvements to the place. In 1852, he sold this place to Andrew and Samuel Hayden, who were uncles of the late George M. Proctor, one of the builders and owners of the Brown-Proctoria Hotel. James Halley afterwards bought the Richard Duerson place, on what is now known as Winn Avenue, and built the handsome residence now owned by a church organization, which has also erected a church and tabernacle and a three-story building to accommodate their guests during their camp meeting. James Halley was born in 1784, at the home place of his father, Richard Halley, a Revolutionary soldier from Virginia, who had a five-hundred acre patent about two and a half miles north of Winchester, between the Anderson and Sphar tracts and fronting on the Old Hood's road, between Paris and Mt. Sterling pikes. James Halley was a soldier in the War of 1812, and on his return became a merchant in Lancaster, Kentucky. After his father's death he acquired the interests of the other heirs in the Richard Halley tract and resided there until he purchased the Scholl farm above mentioned. Among his children were Mrs. Harrison Wright, Mrs. Maria L. Stuart, T. J. Halley, Mrs. Mary J. Robinson and Mrs. Elizabeth Thomson.

Among the pioneer merchants at Schollsville were James O. Hinde and John D. Hinde, who were quite successful and afterwards moved to Cincinnati and engaged in business. They were descendents of the famous Dr. Thomas Hinde whose family filled such a prominent page in the early history of Kentucky. John D. Hinde lived until a few years ago in St. Louis and was one of its wealthy and highly respected business men. His son, Thomas Hinde, is a very wealthy and prominent business man of Chicago and married Miss Macklin of Franklin county. John D. Hinde, in conjunction with Samuel G. Stuart and T.J. and Colonel Fulton, of Pennsylvania, put down the first oil well in this portion of Kentucky at the close of the Civil War.

Near the Scholl tract more than seventy years ago was a thriving settlement known as Fryville, which contained a store, postoffice, tavern, two physicians, and a stage station. The villages of Gordonton, Schollsville, L & E Junction and Hedges Station are all situated on what was the original Boone and Scholl tract. After the Messrs. Hinde sold out their mercantile business at Schollsville, Clark and Fry were the principal merchants and they in turn were succeeded by Landrum and Ware. Mr. Landrum was a brother of the noted Methodist circuit rider, Rev. William Landrum, who at one time conducted a small store in part of the Fox residence opposite Ephesus Church. Mr. Ware, his partner, was also his nephew, and became one of the wealthiest citizens of Clark county. His only child is Mrs. Leland T. Bush.

Gordonton was named for the late R. D. Gordon, though it was originally called Cathecassa, while L & E Junction was originally known as Fairlie and the postoffice at this village is still called Dodge, and it was named in honor of the late General A.G.T. Dodge, the original builder of the first section of the L & E Railroad, from L & E Junction to Clay City.

Bethlehem Church Graveyard. It was customary in the early days to have the burying ground in connection with country churches. As the Bethlehem Church meeting house was located on a creek, the graveyard was situated on a dividing ridge between the Kentucky and Licking Rivers, a short distance south of the church building. The first person buried in this graveyard was Sallie Montgomery, a spinster. Her grave is located in the northwest corner.

Abraham Scholl's first wife, Nellie Umble (or Humble), and his daughter, Celia, who married Jilson Martin. Mr. Asa C. Barrow considers it most probable that the two daughters of Daniel Boone, previously referred to, were also buried at this place.

There is also buried in this graveyard a young woman who, at the time of her death, was regarded as one of the most beautiful and popular girls in Clark county, Mary Hulse Woods, a daughter of Steven and Margaret Goff Hulse. She was especially noted for being a graceful horseback rider and often competed at the county fairs for premiums given for the best and most graceful lady rider and was seldom, if ever, defeated in these contests. She was killed while sitting at a window in her room by a stroke of lightening. Her nephew, Webb Hulse, had the unusual experience of looking into a grave prepared for the reception of his body. He was working at this time for a railroad company in one of the northern states and a crook conceived the idea of getting money by telegraphing Hulse's parents that he was dead and asking them to send the money to ship his body home for the burial. The telegram was sent and the parents, suspecting nothing, prepared for the burial. The grave was dug, all the arrangements made and many of his relatives and friends had arrived at the place of burial before the fraud was discovered. Some friends of the family, who were familiar with the usual procedure of railroad companies when their employees were killed by accident while in the discharge of their duties, became suspicious and, after reflecting upon the matter, sent a telegram of inquiry to the railroad company and thus discovered the deception. Webb came home to see his parents, to better convince them that he was not dead, and visited the grave which had been prepared for him.

The father of the late Leonard Beall, of Kiddville, is also buried in this graveyard. Leonard Beall was prominent citizen of Kiddville, a soldier of the War of 1812 and a friend of Cathecassa or Black Hoof, the famous Indian chief, who spent many weeks with Mr. Beall, whose life he had been instrumental in saving at the bloody battle of River Raisin, when he returned to Kentucky for a visit after the War of 1812. The Clark County Historical Society is fortunate enough to have many invaluable features of early historic events related by Cathecassa to Mr. Beall and James Stuart, his colleague, which will in time be given in our Chronicles.

Abraham Scholl had eighteen children, six born to his first wife, Nellie Humble, and twelve to his second wife, Tabitha Noe. One of the children by the first wife was Morgan Scholl who did not marry until he was after 60 years of age. He was in love with Fannie Hardesty and had her initials tatooed on his arm; but they had a lovers quarrel and she married Ezekial Flinn (or Flynn), who was doubtless the ancestor of a large and prominent family of that name now living in Clark county. Fannie Hardesty was a sister of Alice Hardesty, who married Morgan's brother, Uriah, and they were daughters of Thomas Hardesty. Uriah Scholl moved to Indiana, near Madison, and lived close to his sister, Elizabeth, who married Arnold Custer, a relative of the famous General Custer. A daughter, Anna, married Mickleberry Daniel, and lived in what is now Powell county. The late Dr. George F. Clark was a descendent of the couple. Another daughter, Celia, married Jilson Martin, and another, Rachel, married Hinchia Gilliam Barrow, a son of the Baptist preacher, David Barrow, and it is from these that Mr. Asa C. Barrow is descended. One of the children of the second wife, Sally, married Marshall Key, who was a cousin of Francis Scott Key, the author of the "Star Spangled Banner".

Another daughter by the second wife, Adeline, married Henry Bushnell, and they moved to Wisconsin, where she lived for a year without seeing a white woman and often alone. Her husband was a lead miner, and would often be gone from home for a long time, when he hauled the ore to a shipping point on the Mississippi river. While the Indians were numerous, they never did any injury, but would often come during Bushnell's absence and attempt to steal. On one occasion, Mrs. Bushnell saw some Indians coming when she had a pot of beans on the fire cooking. She knew they would take them away from her if they saw them, so she hid the beans under the bed, which had curtains extending to the floor. However, the Indians smelled the beans and searched for them until they found them. The chief took a spoon and each Indian held out his greasy blanket and received a spoonful of beans around until they had divided them and they walked away eating the beans. On another occasion, Bushnell brought home with him a barrel of flour and the Indians found out and came around during his absence and demanded that Mrs. Bushnell make them some bread. She seized a hatchet and calmly sat down upon the barrel of flour and told them she would knock the brains out of the first Indian that touched either her or the barrel. They threatened and blustered, but when they found that she could not be frightened, they said "Ugh!" and walked away.

At another time, the Indians were very angry at Bushnell for some cause, and came to his home intending to treat him roughly. His wife saw them coming and hid him between the feather beds, so they did not find him. Bushnell was hunting one day and saw an Indian taking aim at him with his rifle. When the Indian saw that Bushnell observed him, he dropped his gun, and when Bushnell came up he held out his hand and said, "How". Bushnell knocked him down and broke his gun on a tree and kicked the Indian until he almost killed him. He then took some silver ornaments off the stock of the Indian's gun and went on his way. Some time later, Bushnell's brother-in-law, Morgan Scholl, was hunting with Bushnell's gun and met some Indians who proposed a shooting match. Scholl hit the mark every time and the Indians purposely missed every shot. They then asked to shoot with Scholl's gun, but he was shrewd enough to know what they wanted to get the gun and keep it, and he refused. Then one of the Indians exclaimed: "Bushnell's gun! Bushnell heap dam rass (rascal)! Kick poor Indian 'till he couldn't lay in the grass!

Another daughter, Leah, married Hiram Ratten and moved to Texas, and as they started away, the mother was overwhelmed with grief and predicted that she would never see nor hear from them again. The daughter said, "As I go through Perry, I will get pen, ink, and paper and write. They received one letter saying they had arrived safely, and another saying that their twelve-year-old daughter had died from a rattlesnake bite, and after that they heard no more from them. It was supposed that they were masscred by Indians.

Abraham Scholl's trip to Illinois was very similar to the one he made to Kentucky. When they arrived in Illinois, they again built half moon camps and at night kept a fire burning in front of it continuously in order to keep away the wolves, which were howling around them. A man by the name of Alcorn accompanied the Scholls, and another by the name of Coffee, came from Kentucky shortly afterwards and settled near them.

On the morning of December 25, 1852, Abraham Scholl failed to get up as usual. His wife asked him why? He answered that he "just felt tired". A physician was summoned and informed the family that the end was near. Scholl said nothing hurt him, that he was not even uncomfortable, and continued to talk with the family about Christmas as it was observed back in Kentucky, until he passed away. The attending physician remarked: "That is the way Nature intended for man to die."

Peter Scholl had fourteen children, six born on Marble Creek, Fayette county, and eight o George's Fork of Stoner Creek, Clark county. The names of his children were Martha, John, Lydia, Joseph, Dudley (first, died in infancy), Malinda, Jesse, Peter, Morgan, Edward, Dudley (second), Mary, Louisa, Charity, and Polly.

Joseph Scholl had the following children: Jesse, Septimus, Marcus, Joseph, Celia, Marcia, and Leah.

Rachel Scholl, who was a sister of Peter, Joseph, and Abraham Scholl, married David Denton, and lived in the Scholl settlement for awhile, but afterwards moved to what was then Barren county, Kentucky, now Logan county, near Merry Oaks. Mrs. Denton was alone one day and saw an Indian sneaking up towards a rail pen where their horse was confined. She leveled their rifle on the back of a chair and shot at the Indian but missed him. He left, however, without the horse. A son of the Dentons, David Barrow Denton, was connected with a rather unusual incident, while living in Logan county. He was quite a hunter and every fall he and a number of his companions would go on an extensive hunting trip. At this particular time, he and his companions were in the town of Russellville with their dogs, wagons loaded with tents and other camping equipage, and were all dressed in rather gaudy colors. Denton went to the bank to get some money, and just at that moment Jesse James and his gang rushed into town, intending to rob the bank. But when they saw the hunting party and their outfit, they thought they had been discovered and troops were guarding the bank, so they "took to the woods".

The younger generation of the Scholls migrated west, as their fathers and mothers had done, because land was scarce. The three Scholls who settled at Scholl's Station had thirty-eight children altogether and there was not enough to give each of them a home. A few years ago, there lived in Schollsville three descendents of Peter Scholl, Caroline, Richard, and Isaiah Scholl, who all lived to a good old age and passed away within a short time of each other.

Among the noted residents of the Schollsville neighborhood was the Hon. Harrison Thomson, for whom Thomson Station was named, and near which was situated his fine old colonial home. He represented Clark county in the Legislature from 1850 to 1861, and was a candidate for the Senate in 1865, but owing to the presence of soldiers at the polls preventing the Democrats from voting, Dr. A. Sidney Allan, who had previously represented the county in the Legislature, was declared elected. Mr. Thomson contested the election and was seated and served from 1866 to 1869. He was a man of striking personal appearance and nearly always wore a silk hat and carried a gold-headed cane. His son, Col. H. P. Thomson, was also a very prominent citizen and a large breeder and importer of short horn cattle and one of the pioneer growers and handlers of white burley tobacco, in which he made and lost two or three fortunes. He afterwards bought the old Taylor or Ballard place in Winchester, and laid out what was known as Thomson's Addition, which embraced nearly all the land between Boone Avenue and the upper end of South Main Street, out to and including the present Fair Grounds. He served for many years on the Democratic County Committee and also as its Chairman and was one of the alternate delegates from the State at large to the Democratic National Convention in 1888, at St. Louis. He married Miss Fannie Speck, daughter of the late Judge Speck, of St. Louis, one of the city's most distinguished citizens. Mrs. Thomson was a very handsome and distinguished lady and now resides in California. Colonel Thomson also served on the staffs of Governors Blackburn and Knott, with the rank of colonel, and was widely known throughout Kentucky and many of the adjacent states. The other children of Hon. Harrison Thomson were Albert W. Thomson, who married in Woodford county and resided there until his death. The oldest daughter, Elizabeth, married Benjamin B. Groom, one of the most noted men of the county, who built the magnificent home, known as Vinewood, on the Mt. Sterling pike, now owned by Henry Besuden. Mr. Groom made many importations of short horn cattle and became widely known to the stockmen of the entire United States and Great Britain. About the year 1875, he held a two days' sale, at Vinewood, of 225 head of shorthorns and they averaged over $1500 per head, the highest priced one being a four months old heifer calf, which brought $17,500. Mr. Groom met with reverses during the panic two or three years later and lost his fortune and his fine estate at Vinewood, but being a man of great ability and tireless energy, he formed a partnership with Mr. Charles G. Francklyn, of the Cunard Steamship Company, and went to Texas, where he soon acquired a vast acreage of fine land, built up a splendid herd of cattle and although then past seventy years of age retrieved his fortune and lived to enjoy it for several years afterward. His only child, Harrison Thomson Groom, died about three years ago. Harrison Thomson's youngest daughter married Mr. William B. Moore and lived for many years on the Kiddville and Thomson Station pike, near the corner of the old Boone and Scholl grant and then moved to Louisville. Her daughter married George R. Washburn, one of the most noted and successful business men and journalists in Louisville, who died last winter. Hon. Harrison Thomson's wife was Miss Joyce Quisenberry, of the same neighborhood.

Another well-known and popular resident of the Schollsville section was Hon. Zachariah Haggard, who represented the county in the Legislature in 1837 and '38 and held various other local positions of trust. His wife's name was Zilpah, thus giving to the couple the same initials, Z, a circumstance, we believe, never having occur in this county before, that of both husband and wife each having the same unusual initial, Z.

Another noted and popular citizen of this neighborhood was the late Major John N. Conkwright, the father of two of our members, Messrs J.B. and S.J. Conkwright, and the grandfather of the brilliant young historian and journalist, Miss Bessie Taul Conkwright. Major Conkwright was born in 1836, and after receiving a preliminary education in the schools of the county, attended Centre College and graduated from that famous institution in 1856, in one of the most, distinguished classes ever turned out by that institution, including in its membership Breckinridge, McCreary, Blackburn, and many others. He married Miss Mary Jane Taul, and built what was then considered the largest and handsomest brick residences in the eastern portion of the county, near the junction of the Iron Works and Schollsville pike, at Pilot View, where he dispensed a generous hospitality and was highly esteemed by all. Major Conkwright was elected to the Legislature and served from 1867 to 1869. He afterward served many terms as magistrate and succeeded the late Congressman M.C. Lisle as County Judge, when the latter was elected to Congress in 1892-3. Major Conkwright was clerk of Boone's Creek Baptist Association from 1872 until 1886, when he was elected moderator of the Association and served for thirty-two consecutive years, until his death in 1918. He was also clerk of the First Baptist Church of Winchester for eighteen years.

A noted pioneer resident of the Scholl's Station neighborhood was Rev. Thomas Boone, who was a great grandson of Squire Boone, an older brother of Daniel Boone. He was pastor of Lulbegrud, Goshen, Log Lick, Dry Fork, and New Providence churches. New Providence church was located on Lulbegrud Creek, at the month of Comb's Creek, and Dry Fork was situated near Ruckerville, while Log Lick is in the Pine Ridge section of Goode's precinct. Among his children was George Boone, who married Rachel Tribble. George Boone, after farming many years, moved to Winchester and conducted the old Boone Tavern, which was situated on the southeast corner of Main and Broadway. His twin sons were Samuel M. and Thomas M. Boone. Samuel M. Boone was a student at Centre College, at Danville, and married Mary W. Caldwell, a daughter of Col. Gabriel Slaughter Caldwell, of Boyle county, Kentucky. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the Union Army and became a Captain in Wolford's famous cavalry. On his return, he was elected Police Judge of Winchester, and afterwards County Attorney of Clark county, while at various times in his life, he was connected as a writer with several newspapers, and was at one time local editor of the Winchester Democrat. His twin brother , Thomas M. Boone, served gallantly for the Confederate Army, thus evidencing the intense division of sentiment caused by the Civil War, even in the same families. Thomas M. Boone emigrated to Texas, and became a very prominent and successful business man of the Lone Star State. Captain Samuel M. Boone was a handsome, genial, whole-souled man and very popular wherever he was known. While living at Danville, many years after the war, he became a candidate for State Senator, as an Independent, in opposition to Captain Ferdinand Rigney, of Casey county, a veteran of the Mexican War, who ran in the interest of his old commander, General John S. Williams, then a candidate for United States Senator. Captain Rigney was not an orator nor a man of much education, but had a lot of horse sense and was very popular and successful, and a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. At a big picnic and barbecue, held near Danville, just before the election and attended by over two thousand people, Captain Boone made a short and catchy speech and seeking to have some fun with his veteran opponent, said at the close of his speech "I now conclude my speech by demanding of my distinguished opponent, when he comes to reply, that he state to this large audience, how he stands on the doctrine of transsubstantiation". Captain Rigney's friends insisted that he must reply to the speech, which he did, in his brief and homely way and at the close of his remarks he turned to Captain Boone ad said: "What is that question you asked me about at the end of your talk awhile ago?" Captain Boone arose and repeated it. "Well, sir," said Captain Rigney, "I will have you understand, sir, that I stand on that question and on every other question, right square on the Democrat platform with both feet, sir." This phrase made a great hit with the crowd, and Senator Rigney was elected by a large majority.

Characteristic of the devotion of the Boone twin brothers to each other, which the war could never dissever was shown when Thomas M. Boone was sick and wounded in Missouri, his twin brother Sam immediately applied for leave of absence from his command in the Union Army and rushed to the bedside of his brother and brought him home to Kentucky, where he was nursed back to health.

Captain Boone had fine elocutionary gifts and was a splendid reader, and in the old days when the Court House yard was enclosed by an iron railing he would sit under the shade of the trees in the summer afternoons and read to a crowd of admiring friends, such works as Napoleon and His Marshals, by Headley, and they would sit enthralled by the hour.

Captain Boone was also quite a practical joker and many good stories are told of hid exploits in this line. One day he happened to be chatting with a little Hebrew merchant when the latter complained that his trade was rather dull at that time and asked Boone why everybody was going to his competitor and passing him by. Quickly seeing the opportunity for a huge practical joke, Captain Boone told the little merchant that it was because he was not a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and that his competitor was and hence got the advantage of him in trade. The merchant wanted to join right away and Boone told him that he could get him in and took his application at once. That night he summoned a few kindred spirits and they took the merchant to a vacant room in the upper story of the Court House and initiated him into the supposed mysteries of the Klan and we leave it to the imagination of the reader as to what happened to the victim for the next two or three hours, after which the party and the merchant enjoyed a Dutch feast out of the fee for the mock initiation.

Another story on Captain Boone and his boyhood days, when he still lived in the Schollsville neighborhood, was that he and a chum were not invited to a certain party given by a Mr. Wills, one of his neighbors. He and his chum were very much chagrined because they were not invited when nearly everyone else in the neighborhood had an invitation, and they resolved to get even. The old Sandy Railroad grade was being built at that time and about nine o'clock, Boone and his friend pilfered a keg of powder from a nearby magazine of the contractors, attached a fuse to it and piled a lot of ties, limbs, sticks, etc., on it, set fire to the fuse and scampered. In due time the keg of powder exploded, throwing the ties and sticks high in the air, making a very loud report and the ties and sticks came down among trees near the house and breaking off limbs caused quite a crash. The host and guests were startled, the horses in the yard were badly frightened and many of them broke loose and ran wildly around the yard, and incidentally knocking over some bee hives. The bees came out and added to the confusion and discomfort of the guests and horses. Boone and his partner enjoyed the affair very much. He was suspected of causing the explosion that broke up the party ad diligent effort was made to get proof of that fact, but he had covered his tracts too well. However, Boone and his chum were invited to all the parties after that. That passage of Scripture which says "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap", was soon fulfilled in Captain Sam's case. Some time after this he was visiting a relative and told with great enjoyment of these and other practical jokes that he had played on others and his relative conceived the idea of giving Sam a dose of his own medicine. He secured an apparatus composed of a rubber bulb and rubber tube with a flat disc attached, so arranged that it could be placed under one's plate, at the table and cause the plate to perform strange antics, by the manipulation of any one else sitting at the table. Boone usually ate a hearty breakfast, interspersed with a great deal of conversation. Shortly after he commenced eating his plate jumped up two inches from the table. Sam thought that unusual and looked out of the corner of his eye to see if anyone else had noticed it; but everyone was busy and appeared not to have noticed it. Boone became quiet all at once. Presently, his plate leaped in the air again and came very near turning over. Sam paused and looked intently at his plate, at the same time furtively glancing at those seated at the table with him to see if anyone was playing a prank on him. Nobody seemed to have noticed anything unusual and Sam made another effort to eat; but his hands were noticed to be very shaky. Shortly his plate gave another jump and came down so hard that it rang loudly enough to be heard by all present. Sam arranged his knife and fork and asked to be excused, saying he was not feeling well and had no appetite.

Captain Boone had three other brothers beside his twin brother, Clifton and Andrew, who have been dead many years and William Henry Boone, of Winchester, who is the last surviving member of his father's family. Henry Boone was a gallant soldier in the Federal Army and is the only remaining member of the raiding party commanded by Major Buckner and Sheriff Stuart when they captured the overwhelming force of Confederates in the VanMeter woods one night during the first year of the Civil War. He also served several terms as Coroner of Clark County.

A son of Captain Samuel M. Boone, Samuel M. Boone, Jr., was for many years the owner and editor of a daily paper at Twin Falls, Idaho, and is now a prominent newspaper man in California.

Another grandson of Rev. Thomas M. Boone was the late I.N. Boone, of the Schollsville neighborhood, who represented Clark County in the Legislature of 1879-80.

One of the early physicians of Scholl's Station section was the late Dr. Ennis M. Combs, whose residence and office was near Bethlehem Church at the junction of the Kiddville and Nelson neighborhood pikes. He enjoyed a large practice, but moved to Hancock County prior to the Civil War and practiced there for about fifteen years when he returned to Winchester and practiced until his death. He was succeeded in the Schollsville neighborhood by the late Dr. W. H. Cunningham, for whom W. H. Cunningham Masonic Lodge, at Schollsville, was named. Dr. Cunningham was a native of the northern part of the county and was one of three talented brothers, the others being Hon. W. A. Cunningham, a noted lawyer of Paris, who was State Senator from Bath, Bourbon, Clark, and Montgomery, from 1873 until 1877, and was afterwards a candidate for Circuit Judge, while a third brother, Captain S. P. Cunningham, was a noted newspaper man.

Another resident of Schollsville was Glenmore Combs, Sr., whose son E. Waller Combs, was a Confederate soldier and afterwards County Assessor and for two terms County Clerk. The late Dr. Glenmore Combs, a noted physician of that town and afterwards Winchester was the second son of Glenmore Combs, Sr., while the oldest son, Leslie Combs, was for many years a merchant in Schollsville.

No sketch of the Scholl's Station section would be complete without mentioning the noted pioneer teacher, Cyrus W. Boone, who in his three score and ten years of teaching probably taught more pupils in Clark county than any one who ever lived within its borders, unless it was that other fine old pioneer pedogogue, Boaz Fox. Professor Boone passed away at the age of 92 in 1921. By diligent effort and much self denial he prepared himself for his life work and began teaching when he had barely reached his majority and continued in the harness until a short time before his death at his home in Kiddville. He had taught in nearly every district in Clark county and also served many years as one of the County Board of Examiners and as County School Superintendent. He was a man of gentle and unassuming manner and much loved by his friends and by his legion of pupils, many of them being grandchildren of his first pupils. His wife, who was Miss Mary Acton (now spelled Ecton), is still living in Kiddville, and one of his sons, J. Q. Boone, is a well known and highly regarded citizen of Winchester.

Boaz Fox, the pioneer teacher mentioned in the preceding paragraph, resided on the old Iron Works dirt road, in the Beechwood settlement, about five miles from Winchester. His home was originally occupied by Nimrod Finnell, the pioneer printer, who had a printing office there early in the last century and printed several books, some of which are still in existence with his imprint on the title page. He afterward moved his printing office to Winchester, where it was used in the establishment of Winchester's first newspaper, The Winchester Advertiser, which was founded during the War of 1812. Mr. Fox, however, cherished some of the old type until the day of his death. He was one of the most courtly, refined, and lovable gentlemen that ever resided in the county. He was the father of John W. Fox, the noted educator, who founded the famous Stony Point Academy, near the Clark and Bourbon line, one of whose sons, was John Fox, Jr., the brilliant author. A more extended sketch of the Beechwood settlement and its citizens will apear later in the Chronicles.

A noted pioneer family of the Schollsville section was that of George Fry, who purchased four hundred acres from James Evans in 1808 and moved from Jessamine county to this tract, which was adjacent to the Scholl patent on the northwest. Two of his sons, George Fry, Jr., and Christopher Fry were deputy clerks of Clark county for many years, between 1808 and 1840, and in 1843, George Fry, Jr., represented Clark county in the Legislature. Christopher Fry and his wife, Eliza Bullock Fry, and the other heirs of George Fry, Sr., and his wife Juliann, executed a deed to what was then known as the Ward Tavern lot (now the site of the United States Post Office building), to about twenty-seven leading citizens of the county as a site for a female school. This school was at once established and conducted by Miss Sackett, of New York, a noted teacher of that day, and a corps of accomplished assistants. This school was very successful for a number of years and its pupils including the daughters of nearly all the prominent families in Clark county. This was in 1840.

George Fry, Jr., married Miss Nancy Gaitskill. Christopher Fry married Eliza B. Didlake, a member of the noted Didlake family, who built the old brick mansion just north of town and now owned by R. P. Taylor. His oldest daughter, Amanda F., married Colonel William Rodes Estill, of Fayette county, and three of their sons, Clifton Estill, William W. Estill, and Robert C. Estill, are still living. Christopher Fry's other children were Mary B., who married a Mr. Ramsey, Rebecca M., Robert D., William M., John D., Clifton R., Susan M., and Eliza Ann. At one time, the Fry settlement had a post office named Fryville, and also a stage station, tavern, store and two doctors.

Another branch of the Fry family settled in Boyle and Lincoln counties and became very prominent, among them being General Speed S. Fry, Joshua Fry, and Joshua F. Bell, for who Bell county was named, J. Fry Lawrence, of Louisville, and others.

Another well known resident of the Schollsville section in later was Squire Mason Morris, who served many years as magistrate and was several times an unsuccessful candidate for county Judge.

Just beyond the northeastern side of the Scholl and Thomson settlement lived Mr. George Washington Proctor, who owned a large estate there, but late in life purchased and moved to the splendid farm on the Lexington pike formerly owned by W. D. Sutherland and now owned and occupied by his daughter-in-law, Mrs. George M. Proctor, whose husband, the late George M. Proctor, and his brother-in-law, Mr. J. L. Brown, built and own the Brown-Proctoria Hotel. The Proctors are related to the distinguished Kentucky family of that name, among the most noted of whom was the late John R. Proctor, for many years State Geologist of Kentucky, afterward President of the National Civil Service Commission, one of whose members was the late President Theodore Roosevelt, who always gave Mr. Proctor credit for much of his political training. Mr. Proctor's work as State Geologist and his publications on Kentucky's resources are known all over the world and gave the first impetus to the great development of Eastern Kentucky. John R. Proctor's father owned the land of which Proctor's Cave, in Edmonson county, is situated and gave his name to this wonderful cavern, which is near the Mammoth Cave. Hon. Z. T. Proctor, the widely known banker and legislator, of Leitchfield, Kentucky, is another prominent member of this family.

Adjacent to Mr. Proctor lived Mr. Asa C. Barrow, Sr., who afterwards disposed of his farm and purchased what is known as "Avalon Place" on the Lexington pike, once the property of Abram Van Meter and now the home of Mr. J. L. Brown, where he lived for several years and then moved to the home of his son-in-law, J. Harvey Hunt, on the Mt. Sterling pike, known as the old Warren , place and now owned by Squire Joe S. Lindsay.

Another resident of antebellum days Pleasant Clawson, who had a small road house or tavern at the mouth of George's Fork of Stoner Creek. Just below the Clawson place, on Stoner, was the home of Otha Beall, the father of one of our members, Miss Ruth Beall, and below this was the residence and mill of Sanford Thomson, which was the western end of the Thomson settlement, a sketch of which will follow in another installment of the Chronicles. The place is just in front of Goshen Church and the mill pond was for many years the baptizing place for the converts to that church.

Just above the mouth of George's Fork lived the Rev. Thornton Wills, a noted Baptist preacher in the early days. Two of his sons, Joe A. Wills and W. B. Wills, were soldiers in the Confederate Army and are still living. Another son, Hon. Jack D. Wills, represented Clark county for several years in the Kentucky legislature and resides now on Four Mile Creek, in a house formerly owned by James Lampton, whose daughter was the mother of Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemons). Austin B. Wills lived on the opposite side of Stoner Creek from Thornton Wills and when the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad was built (then the old Big Sandy Railroad) it cut his house in two and used up most of his yard for the right of way.

The Stevenson family (usually called Stinson in the early days) also lived in this neighborhood and have many descendents.

The Rupard family were and are still numerous in this section and for several years held a family reunion on the first Saturday in September of each year at the home of one of the members, at which bountiful dinners were spread and many scores of the family and their connections gather for a day of enjoyment. The reunion this year will at the home of Nathan Golden, on Stoner Creek, and at this meeting editors of the Chronicles are expected to attend and give some historical reminiscences of this large and excellent family, who hospitality is proverbial.

One of the most noted member of the Rupard family was the late Rev. William Rupard, who was born in 1825, educated in the schools of native county, and began teaching at the age of eighteen. He joined the Goshen Church of the old school Baptists when sixteen years of age and began preaching early in life and was for the remainder of his career actively engaged in the ministry. With the exception of one year, when he preached in Scott county, Illinois, he was from 1856 in charge of the churches at Goshen, Lulbegrud, Liberty, and Cane Spring, all belonging to the North District Association, and he also traveled and preached much in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio. He was clerk of the Association from 1852 until 1859, and after that date was the moderator, until his death in 1904. He was a man of great force of character and probably the most widely known preacher of his denomination in Kentucky in his day. While a man of devout Christian character his will was law in his Association and he was looked up to and highly regarded by all its members. His old home was on the Iron Works pike, just beyond Pilot View, where he is buried high a knoll near the road.

Rev. William Rupard's younger brother, Allen H. Rupard, is still living and frequently makes valued contributions of information and mementoes to the Society. He has been for a great number of years clerk of the North District Baptist Association and a leading member of his denomination. During the latter part of the Civil War he was Deputy Sheriff of Clark county under the late War Sheriff, Samuel G. Stuart. Mr. Rupard and Allen H. Sympson, of Eustis, Florida, another deputy sheriff at the same time, are, we believe, the two last surviving members of the county officials serving during the Civil War.

Thank You for stopping by!  Please sign our Guestbook

 

 

 

Contact your Clark County Coordinators

 

Mary Hatton - Co-Coordinator

Christina Palmer - Co-Coordinator

 

Please feel free to contact us at anytime!

 

Sherri Bradley

State Coordinator

 

eXTReMe Tracker

Copyright 2005 - 2010