TxGenWeb

TXGenWeb Project
Titus County, Texas

USGenWeb

Last Updated:


Post Offices
Home
Site Map

TALCO
(Pop. 1,250)

In northwestern Titus County eighteen miles northwest of Mount Pleasant.  Recollections of old timers attribute the name to the actions of a loafer on the front gallery of a general store who aimed a jet of chewing tobacco at a talcum powder can.  At that time the community had just gotten a post office but had not been able to decide on a name.  The tobacco juice hit the can, the brown stain blotting out the letter "m" in talcum.  This suggested the name Talcu.  Disapproval of the selected name by the Post Office Department resulted in a substitute name of Talco.

Office established under name of Goolesboro.

Postmaster Appointed Postmaster Appointed
Calvin S. Stephens May 13, 1878 Mrs. Jenia McClure Mar. 27, 1882
Julia Binion Jan. 5, 1881

Office discontinued December 5, 1882.

Office reestablished March 1, 1883.

Postmaster Appointed Postmaster Appointed
Henry C. Glass Mar. 1, 1883 Virginia A. Loveless Mar. 13, 1886
L. S. Loveless Feb. 12, 1886 Quinton S. Loveless Jun. 13, 1895

Name of office changed to Talco, August 4, 1910.

Postmaster Appointed Postmaster Appointed
Quinton S. Loveless Aug. 4, 1910 George L. Barber (A) Dec. 1, 1943
Leora Stevenson Dec. 1, 1913 George L. Barber Jan. 27, 1945
Stella W. Schultze Dec. 20, 1930 Lenard R. Miller (A) Dec. 31, 1956
Farris Brown (A) Jan. 1, 1935 Mrs. Charlene Westbrook (A) Nov. 23, 1962
Farris A. Brown Jul. 17, 1935 Mrs. Charlene Westbrook May 10, 1963

[ Return to the Post Office County Page ] [ Return to the Main Titus County Page ]

Created and Maintained for the TXGenWeb Project by

Christina Palmer

Web Space Provided By:
Hidden Ancestors
Copyright 2007-Present, Christina Palmer
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.