WELCOME TO
WILKES COUNTY, GEORGIA

The GAGenWeb Project and The USGenWeb Project

&

The AHGP Project

 
 

Descendants of WILLIAM LEWIS DAVIS

Submitted By: Naomi McFadden


Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM LEWIS1 DAVIS was born Unknown in England, and died Aft. 1835 in Wilkes County, Georgia. He married VERLINDA HARRIS GARDNER 1817 in Columbia County, Georgia, daughter of LEWIS GARDNER and VERLINDA HARRIS. She was born Aft. 1791 in Maybe of Pulaski County, Georgia, and died Aft. 1835 in Probably Wilkes County, Georgia.

Notes for WILLIAM LEWIS DAVIS:
From Ren Davis by e-mail 24 Feb 1999
On a trip to Albany 5 years ago, I went in search of members of the DR. W. L . Davis family. I met two of the second cousins: Edwina Davis Gleaton and Charlie Marshall ( E. C. 's brother) Aunt Edwina was W.L.'s daughter and Charlie Marshall's mother. Edwina Gleaton is the daughter of W. L. Davis III and Charlie's first cousin. Charlie was the director of Chehaw Park in Albany but has retired. I don't have a phone number. I also learned in a note from Charlie's son that the original W. L. Davis fought at the Battle of Kettle Creek in 1779 as a British soldier. After the Revolution, he chose to stay in America rather than return to England.


Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001
From: "RENDER DAVIS"
Kettle Creek is just outside the town of Washington, GA. There is a memorial marker there as well as the graves of about a half-dozen Revolutionary War veterans. The new building is just south of the original complex. it is on the site of the Glenn Building and near the old W.W. Orr Building
Ren
Date: 11 Jan 2000
From: Suzanne Walton Ammons:
Found two William Davis in "Georgia Revolutionary War Soldiers' Graves" both buried in Wilks County, Georgia. One was born 1748 died 14 May 1818 served as Lt. and Colonel in the 5th Regiment of the Va. Continental Line. The other was Rev. Willam Davis born 7 Jan 1765 died 31 Oct 1831 served under General LaFayette in the Va. Continental Line and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown.
There is much on William Davis in "Early Records of Georgia", Volumes I and II, Wilkes County as well as Lewis, Lewis C and Lewis L. Davis.

More About WILLIAM LEWIS DAVIS:
Event 1: 1779, FOUGHT IN BATTLE OF KETTLE CREEK AS A BRITISH SOLDIER
Event 2: CHOSE TO STAY IN AMERICA AFTER REVOLUTIONARY WAR

Notes for VERLINDA HARRIS GARDNER:
Notes of this was article written and typed by Angeline Knapp Davis Lanier (NSMcF)
Verlinda Gardner his wife, was daughter of Colonel in English Army, (surgeon). She was the only child of his last marriage; he was married three times. Col. Gardner fought on English side in Revolutionary war. Quite wealthy, he left Verlinda approximately $70,000.00 in money.


Children of WILLIAM DAVIS and VERLINDA GARDNER are:
2. i. WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER2 DAVIS, (DR.), b. Bet. 1819 - 1821, Wilkes County, Georgia; d. 09 Oct 1873, Albany, Georgia from Sextons Book for the City of Albany 1873.
3. ii. JOSEPH E. DAVIS, DR, b. 1826, Albany, Georgia; d. Unknown, Unknown.
iii. E. C. DAVIS, b. 1828, UNKNOWN; d. Unknown, UNKNOWN.
iv. ANN H DAVIS, b. 1835, UNKNOWN; d. Unknown, UNKNOWN.
v. GASAWAY DAVIS, b. Unknown, UNKNOWN; d. Unknown, UNKNOWN.
vi. OBDIAH DAVIS, b. Unknown, UNKNOWN; d. Unknown, UNKNOWN.
vii. MATILDA RACHEL DAVIS, m. MR SNEAD.

Notes for MATILDA RACHEL DAVIS:
Notes of this was article written and typed by Angeline Knapp Davis Lanier (NSMcF)

MATILDA RACHEL DAVIS (Snead) At thirteen she married a Mr. Snead and went to
Texas with her husband who was a friend of her family and much older. (She married
early on account of a step-mother she disliked.) have lost track of this branch in Texas,
hope they struck oil!


Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER2 DAVIS, (DR.) (WILLIAM LEWIS1) was born Bet. 1819 - 1821 in Wilkes County, Georgia, and died 09 Oct 1873 in Albany, Georgia from Sextons Book for the City of Albany 1873. He married "ELLA" ELVIRA CATHERINE WINKLER 20 Nov 1849 in Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, daughter of SHADRACH WINKLER and JEANETTE MCFARLAND. She was born 1832 in Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, and died Bet. 1873 - 1926 in Possibly Albany, Georgia.

Notes for WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER DAVIS, (DR.):
1870 Cenus page 04632 # 34-351-384
Albany Georgia
Wm L Davis -age 50- Physician -- Real property $20,000 -- Personal property $1000
Ella -age- 38- Keeping house
Abbie - age 11
Wm- age 6
Campbell - age 2
Edwina- age 6 months
Kittie Robison --age 30- Domestic

HISTORY OF DOUGHERTY COUNTY pages 123-127 (no date or publisher)

DOUGHERTY'S PHYSICIANS PAST AND PRESENT
Dougherty County has always been blessed in the character and skill of its physicians. In the early days when the practice was chiefly among the planters who had settled with their slaves in this section, the hardships of the country doctor who daily rode many miles on horseback or by buggy with his case of medicine and instruments to ease the ills of humanity were such as cannot be appreciated in this day of powerful automobiles and accessible hospitals and drug stores.
The earliest settlers among the medical fraternity so far as can be learned were Dr. John G. Slappey, Dr. W. A. Love, Dr. W. H. Jeffries, Dr. Taliaferro Jones, Dr. W. L. Davis, Sr., Dr. Jeremiah Hilsman, Dr. John B. Gilbert, Dr. Chan. Hill, Dr. E. L. Connally, Dr. I. B. Dickinson, Dr. Lawrence Robert, Dr. Stoney Robert, Dr. William Twitty, Dr. B. M. Cromwell, Dr. W. P. Jennings, Dr. J. E. MacMillan, Dr. T. D. Mathews, Dr. L. L. Strozier, Dr. E. W. Alfriend, Dr. Joe Davis, Dr. Thomas M. Nelson, Dr. John Nelson, Dr. Sims.

DR WILLIAM L. DAVIS, SR.

Among the brave men who pushed their way through the virgin forests, erected trading stations and became the pioneers of our ever growing population, the physician deserves a place in the annals of every town. Albany was in, its second decade when Dr. W. L. Davis, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, cast his lot with the village. He was enrolled in the first class at Penfield, where Mercer
University was then located, and with a good education he began the study of medicine. To reach Philadelphia in those days was an arduous task, and while he first enrolled as a student in the Jefferson medical College, he found those he considered the most distinguished professors at the University of Pennsylvania, and transferred his membership to a class at this most eminent university of medicine in
the United States. There were found at this time the greatest teachers of medicine in America, and under their tutelage and by diligent application he qualified himself for the practice of medicine. In fact, the department of anatomy at; that time was equal to any in the world, and some of his specimens, which he carefully prepared during his student days, would be models for teaching today. After graduating he located in Albany, the then struggling village remote from cities and many of the advantages that a young M. D, desired. While living in Albany, together with several prominent physicians of the state, they planned the organization of the Medical Association of Georgia, thereby making themselves charter members.
Born in 1821 of good Welsh and English stock at the family home in Wilkes County, son of William Lewis Davis and Velinda Gardner, of Augusta, Ga., daughter of Colonel Gardner, of the English army, he grew with five brothers and one sister on his father's plantation in a home where duty and honor were the keynotes in their daily lives. His father was noted for his unquestionable veracity and as one whose name was sufficient to a promise. It was from such an atmosphere and training that the young M. D. came to wrest fortune from a pioneer section.
He established himself in an office on Broad street, north side, in what is now known as the 100 block. Patients consulted him from far and wide, at a distance of 60 miles or more. To go east the river must be ferried, to go north, west or south the roads were almost impassable--and many times no roads at all. Creeks to be forded and long stretches of country to be covered between the homes of settlers.
Sometimes the young doctor on horseback with his saddlebags filled with medicines and necessities would be gone three days or more on calls. His tender sympathy for the sick, resourcefulness when in need of medicines or instruments not to be had, his fidelity to his patients, received their reward when on his death in 1872 every business house in the town was closed and all classes mourned the loss of the skilled surgeon and family friend. One who knew him told of this fidelity to his patients and his intrepid courage of purpose: Arriving at the river's bank on a cold and bitter night, finding the ferry on the opposite side of the river, he called to the ferryman. The ferryman having retired to his home for the night, the physician vainly called to him to bring the ferry over to transport him and his horse on the way to the sick bed of some patient. Finding that he could not arouse the sleeping ferryman, he disrobed and by the aid of the ferry rope and his determination swam across the stream, warmed himself over some smouldering coals and brought the ferry back, replaced his clothes and ferried his horse across the stream. After rebuilding the fire and getting himself warm, he continued his journey to the patient, who received him most gratefully, and for a long time no one knew the sacrifice the physician made in order to reach his patient's sick bed.
In 1849 Dr. Davis married Ella Catherine Winkler, of Savannah. From this union there were four children who reached maturity: Abby Howe, William Lewis Gardner, a practitioner in Albany, Edward Campbell, at this time a surgeon in Atlanta, and Edwina Theodore Lamar, of Albany, Ga.
When the Civil War began he offered himself as a private, stating that he preferred to be in the line rather than occupy any position in the medical department or behind the line, but his medical skill was of such a character that he was urged to accept a position as assistant surgeon in the 25th Georgia Regiment. He soon was made surgeon and promoted to a position as brigade surgeon with the rank of
major, in the brigade commanded by General Walker. After the promotion of General Walker he still remained in the brigade as chief surgeon under Colonel Wilson. He was in active service during the entire four years, and at the conclusion of the war, with tears streaming from his eyes, he stated that he was far from defeat, and desired to go on to the consummation of his most ardent wish, namely, the
success of the Confederate Army. An instance still related by one of the soldiers rather characterizes the sympathetic nature of Dr. Davis. Once a former soldier on asking one of his sons if he was in any way related to Dr. W. L. Davis, whom he remembered as a surgeon in the Confederate Army, and who, he stated, always rode a little white horse while in the army, and being informed that he was the father
of this young man, turned and with tears in his eyes stated: "My life is due to his kindness. In Mississippi it was thought that I was fatally wounded and was left on the field to die, as most of the transportation for the sick and wounded was overburdened, and only those for whom hope was entertained for their recovery were sent back to the hospital, I being so badly wounded, that as previously stated I was left to die in the blazing sun of a hot Mississippi day." He also stated that he
could well recall the physician on the little white horse with his feet almost dragging the ground, and hearing groans he stopped, placing a canteen of water to the soldier's parched and almost famished lips gave him some drugs to relieve him of suffering, and pinned upon him a little card directing the ambulance driver to take him to a hospital. The ambulance came within a few minutes and carried him to a hospital, and he made a complete recovery.
At the beginning of the war Dr. Davis had moved from Albany to the city of Savannah, seeking a larger field for his profession, and once each year he spent from one to two months in the city of New York. Most of these periods were spent in the office of Dr. Carnachan, one of the most eminent surgeons of America at that time, and whose original operations are still quoted in surgical literature. He was a professor of surgery in the medical department of Columbia University. So much did Dr. Carnachan admire Dr. Davis's work that he offered him a position in his office at what was then considered a very good salary, if he would locate in New York City, but having such strong affection for the South he declined this offer and went to a little town wherein he spent the balance of his life. He had formed several partnerships during his residence in Albany, and he finally took as his partner his younger and affectionate brother, Joseph, whom he had educated, and the two enjoyed a large and lucrative practice.
In 1872 Dr. W. L. Davis died from pneumonia, and was buried in Oakview Cemetery, honored by the entire populace of Southwest Georgia.

Judy Bennett - May 28, 2001 Albany, Georgia Newspaper Clippings

The Albany News, clipping, dated Friday, November, 7, 1873, LEGAL NOTICES: Georgia, Dougherty County; Mrs. Ella C. Davis apply (applies) to me for letters administration on the estate of W. L. Davis, deceased. These are, therefore, to cite and admonish all and singular, the kindred and creditors of said deceased, to be and appear at my office within the time prescribed by law, to show cause, if any
they have, why said letters shall not be granted. (Signed) A. Sterne, Ordinary.

The Albany News, clipping dated Thursday, November 27, 1873; LEGAL NOTICES: Georgia, Dougherty County; All those indebted to the estate of Dr. W. L. Davis, deceased, or owed money by that estate, must make immediate payment or present their notes for payment. (Signed) Mrs. Ella C. Davis, Admx.
Sextons Book for the City of Albany 1872--4

Civil War Records
48738 Davis W.L. F&S 25th Inf. Reg't. Assistant Surgeon Assistant Surgeon

ROSTER OF THE MEDICAL OFFICERS OF THE ARMY OF TENNESSEE.
During the Civil War Between the Northern and Southern States, 1861-1865. Consolidated from the Original Medical- Director's Records.
By JOSEPH JONES, M. D., LL. D.
Page192 Southern Historical Society Papers
DAVIS, WILLIAM LEWIS, Surgeon, appointed by Secretary of War July 29, '62 to rank July 29, '62. Ordered to report to General Mercer. Passed Board at Savannah, Ga., March 10, '62. Aug. 31, '63, 25th Georgia Regiment, October 31, '63, to April 30, '64, 25th Georgia Regiment.

This was article written and typed by Angeline Knapp Davis Lanier (NSMcF)
Note: did not change the typos when OCR. Naomi McFadden

William Lewis Davis (Dr.) Sr.--- Born 1821 Wilkes County,Ga. (Washington, Ga,)
Son of William Lewis .and Verlinda Gardner Davis of Augusta,Ga. Enrolled in first class at Penfield where Mercer University was then located. He attended Jefferson Medical College then went to University of Penn. He with other Albany doctors began the Medical Association of Georgia. He was an excellent doctor and performed every major operation of that day. At age 31 he enlisted in Civil War in Savannah as a private. Later he was made Lieutenant and Army Surgeon subsequently became Major under General Walkers staff. He also served in Gen. Joseph E. Johnson's Staff and was in the Battle of Atlanta. He contracted blood-poison and was sent home to die, but he recovered and returned to duty in an Augusta hospital. Once while in charge of camp in Virginia where hundreds were dying of measles he countermanded orders of previous doctor in charge and made men remove "choke" clothes around their necks, He then had the flaps lifted on the tents. Officers on duty reported his actions to tho commanding officer. The commander asked how many more deaths had occured since Dr. Davis took charge, the report was that none had occured. Thus, the Commander put Dr. Davis in charge of hospitals. He had four brothers Joseph, Gasaway, Obdiah ("Ob") and Edward and one sister Matilda(or Martha) Rachael. In l849 he married Elvira "Ella" Catherine Winkler of Savannah. At the beginning of the war he moved from Albany to Savannah. He spent one or two months of the year (after the war) in New York and studied under Dr. Carnachan a world famous surgeon. Dr. Carnachan offered him a position but Dr. Drvis declined and eventually returned to Ablany to practise with his younger brother Joseph.
He and Ella Catherine had four children to reach maturity -- Abigale (Abbey) Howe, William Lewis, Edward Campbell, Edwina Theodore Lamar. In 1872 he died of pneumonia and is buried in Oakview cmemtery in Albany, Ga.




More About WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER DAVIS, (DR.):
Burial: Albany, Georgia, buried in Oakview Cemetery
Cause of Death: pneumonia

Notes for "ELLA" ELVIRA CATHERINE WINKLER:
J

More About "ELLA" ELVIRA CATHERINE WINKLER:
Burial: Possibly Albany, Georgia

Marriage Notes for WILLIAM DAVIS and "ELLA" WINKLER:
Subject: Re: Winkler
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001
From: Lindenmay@webtv.net (Lewis and/or Lucy Little)
To: naomi@ctc.com.na (Naomi McFadden)

Lucy and I inspected the records of the Chatham County Probate Court . In Chatham County Index to Marriage Licenses 1806 to 1950 it says that Davis, William L. m Miss Ella C. Winkler 19 Nov. 1849/20 Nov. 1849; Josiah P. Tustin. This means that they got the license on the 19th, married on the 20th,
and were married by Tustin.

Judy Bennett - May 28, 2001 Albany, Georgia Newspaper Clippings

Miss Ella Catharine Winkler "The Albany Patriot" dated Friday, November 30. 1849: In the city of Savannah, on the 20th instant, by Rev. J. P. Tustin, William L. Davis, M. D., of Albany, to Miss Ella Catharine Winkler of that city.


Children of WILLIAM DAVIS and "ELLA" WINKLER are:
i. WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER3 DAVIS, (DR.), b. 1864, Georgia; d. Aft. 1910, Unknown; m. ANNIE WILLIAMS SMITH, Bef. 1896, Unknown; b. Abt. 1866, Georgia; d. Aft. 1910, Unknown.

More About WILLIAM LEWIS GARDNER DAVIS, (DR.):
Event 1: 1888, A.B. DEGREE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA
Event 2: 1892, MEDICAL DEGREE FROM UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY

Notes for ANNIE WILLIAMS SMITH:
CENSUS YR: 1870 STATE or TERRITORY: GA COUNTY: Dougherty DIVISION: City of Albany REEL NO: M593-147 PAGE NO: 467A
23 328 360 Smith Wm. E. 41 M W Lawyer 21,000 7,000 Geo. . X
24 328 360 Smith Samuel 9 M W Going to School . . Geo. X
25 328 360 Smith Annie 4 F W At Home . . Geo. . .
26 328 360 Smith Carrie 1 F W At Home . . Geo. . .
27 328 360 Smith Susan 60 F W Keeping House 5,000 . No. Carolina

More About ANNIE WILLIAMS SMITH:
Burial: Unknown, UNKNOWN

ii. ABBY HOWE DAVIS, b. May 1865, Georgia; d. Bet. 1910 - 1930, Atlanta, Georgia; m. JACOB W. "JAKE" YANKEY, Bef. 1880, Unknown; b. Abt. 1851, Perryhill, Boyle County, Kentucky; d. 10 Apr 1896, Albany, Georgia.

Notes for ABBY HOWE DAVIS:
No Date
Newspaper reads like Atlanta

Mrs. A. G. Yankey of Albany Georgia, died at the home of her brother, Dr. Will Davis in Albany Friday. Mrs. Yankey was a sister of Dr. E. C. Davis of Atlanta, and through her frequent visits to him had many friends here. She is survived by two sons, Dr. Worth Yankey of Atlanta, and Lewis Yankey of Savannah, and by one sister, Miss Edwina Davis of Albany. The funeral and interment will take place in Albany Sunday.



More About ABBY HOWE DAVIS:
Burial: Unknown, Albany, Georgia

More About JACOB W. "JAKE" YANKEY:
Burial: 11 Apr 1896, Albany, Georgia
Cause of Death: Consumpstion

iii. DOCTOR EDWARD CAMPBELL DAVIS, b. 11 Oct 1868, Albany, Georgia; d. 11 Mar 1931, Atlanta Georgia; m. MARIA ROSALIE CARTER, 14 Jun 1899, Albany, Georgia, Dougherty County; b. 02 Dec 1873, Albany, Georgia; d. 11 Feb 1967, Atlanta Georgia.

Notes for DOCTOR EDWARD CAMPBELL DAVIS:
From the Fulton County Medical Society Bulletin (date unknow)

Edward Campbell Davis, M.D., F,A.C.S.
BY EDGAR H. GREENE, M.D.

When our country declared war on Germany in April 1917, the nation feverishly went about the business of preparing for a fierce conflict that was destined to terminate victoriously for us nineteen months later.
The medical profession, realizing the role it would be called upon to play in the grim drama, quickly began organizing. Physicians volunteered for duty in the army and navy. Many were already serving with the British, Canadian and French armies. Ambulance companies, field and Red Cross Hospitals were rapidly organized and training instituted.
A group of Atlanta doctors on the faculty of Emory's Medical School met in the college building on Butler Street and planned a Red Cross Hospital which, when organized, would be turned over the War Department for duty in the held. Emory University offered the group any facilities available and full cooperation. The decision made, next came the big question!
Where in Atlanta, was the man with sufficient medical and military training to do the job of organizing the officer, nurse and enlisted personnel for a Base Hospital?
Edward Campbell Davis was born October 11, 1868 in Albany, Georgia where he attended the public school. His college work was completed at the University of Georgia. In 1892 he received his M. D. degree from the University of Louisville.
He served as surgeon with the rank of Major in the Spanish American War and following the termination of that conflict returned to Atlanta. He and his associates practiced in the homes of Atlanta and performed surgical operations in the Old Presbyterian Hospital. For several years after the Spanish American War,
Dr. Davis was senior Medical officer for the Georgia Militia.
The military knowledge and ripe experience gained in War and Peace prepared him for the emergency which came in 1917, and he was chosen to organize and command the hospital to be known as The Emory Unit. When the unit was ready and mobilized at Camp Gordon, Georgia, it was given the official designation of Base Hospital No. 43.
At this time Dr. Davis was professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Emory and from that faculty were selected the doctors to make up the officer personnel of the unit. The Emory Unit made a remarkable record in-France, and is said to have finished its service with the lowest mortality record of any similar hospital in the A,E.F.
The official history of the Emory Unit, Base Hospital No. 43, was dedicated to Dr. Davis and opposite his picture in uniform appears this legend: "Dedicated to Lt. Col. Edward Campbell Davis, M. C. who values even more than the citation from the Commander-in-Chief of the American Expeditionary Forces his soubriquet,'The Daddy of The Emory Unit'."
On April 2, 1919 at Camp Gordon, near Chamblee, Georgia·the last official meeting of the unit was held just prior to demobilization. Dr. Davis having been previously discharged and returned to Atlanta went to Camp Gordon to attend the final meeting. On this occasion the enlisted men of the unit presented him with a loving cup appropriately engraved with expression of love and esteem.
In 1908 Dr. Davis and Dr.. Luther C. Fischer established a small sanatorium on Crew Street in Atlanta. Later they bought a lot on Linden Avenue between the Peachtrees and erected a four story brick and concrete building. In 1913 this building was opened as the most modern hospital in the city. From this beginning another building was added about 1920 and subsequently the name of the hospital
changed from Davis-Fischer Sanatorium to the Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital.·Since Dr. Davis' death in 1931, Dr. Fischer has continued to acquire more land and erect more buildings until now this large and well equipped institution stands as a living memorial to these two men who had the great vision and who worked tirelessly to make it a reality. The good that the erection and operation of the
Crawford W. Long Hospital continues to accomplish cannot be claimed by Atlantians only because this splendid institution's beneficences extend throughout this entire section.
Dr. Davis was a man of magnetic personality. His engaging and courtly manner in conversation, in his work and in his daily routine won for him a host of friends. Probably no physician in Georgia's contemporary history had more friends in the medical profession. He was a profound student of the art and science of medicine and was a frequent visitor to the best surgical clinics of the nation. Dr. Davis wrote extensively on surgical and gynecological subjects. He possessed an unlimited vocabulary and was an able and forceful speaker. As a teacher he was without a peer and his lectures on obstetrics were a bright spot on the students' calender. He was keenly interested in organized medicine and numerous committees claimed his attention during a busy career. In 1928 he was president of the Fulton County Medical Society having served in 1910-1911 as president of the Medical Association of Georgia.
He was a member of many surgical and gynecological societies and was a Fellow of The American College of Surgeons.
A member of the Baptist Church, his Christian character was an inspiration to many. Dr. Davis married Maria Carter of Albany in 1899. To his wife he attributed in great measure any achievements that were credited to him. Mrs. Davis, who still maintains her residence in Atlanta, is a member of the distinguished Virginia families of Carter, Randolph, Evelyn and Byrd. Of the eight children two, Shelley C. and Robert C. are physicians in Atlanta, They are carrying on in a manner that would win a devoted father's admiration were he with us now.
Emory University conferred on. Dr. Davis the L.L.D. degree and the officers of the Emory Unit presented Emory with a portrait of him which hangs in the main hall of the University Hospital. The beautiful chandelier in the rotunda of the Academy of Medicine is a memorial to his memory. After the war he practiced for over ten years when ill health caused him to retire.
He was a kindly gentlemen and a learned physician; a skillful surgeon and gynecologist. His death on March 11, 1931 brought to an end the career of one of Georgia's most able and beloved doctors.
From the Fulton County Medical Society Bulletin (date unknow)

1930 Fulton Co. ed 117 sheet 4 census

Edward C. Davis 62 Ga Ga GA head Surgeon Hospital
Maria C. 56 Ga Ga Ga wife
Shelley C. 28 Ga Ga GA daughter
Catherine 27 Ga Ga Ga daughter
Maria N. 21 Ga Ga Ga daughter
Robert C. 18 Ga Ga Ga son
Sarah 16 Ga Ga GA daughter
Theodore 14 Ga Ga GA daughter
Worth E. Yankey Jr. 14 Ga GA GA nephew


Edward Campbell Davis, M. D.
(1867-1931)
Isabella Arnold Bunce
Atlanta

A Reprint from
The Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia
July, 1950

Edward Campbell Davis, M. D.

In the year 1867 America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, had much to occupy
her time. One of her many problems was the badly crippled South left so from the War Between
the States. Notwithstanding the sad condition of the fallen South, the Reconstruction Act was
passed over the veto of President Andrew Johnson who had always attempted to befriend her.
It was into this perilous period of carpetbaggers, scalawags and freed slaves that Edward
Campbell Davis was born on the llth day of October, 1867, in Albany, Georgia. His parents were
Ella Catherine Winkle r Davis and Dr. William Lewis Gardner Davis. Thus it came about that
his heritage was the blend of the blood of England, Scotland and Wales.
Campbell, as his family called him, had dark brown hair and deep blue eyes that were enhanced by a direct straightforward gaze. In family sequence, he was next to the youngest of eight children; therefore, he had an opportunity to profit by the experiences and companionship of the older ones. In consequence, he led the happy life most small boys are privileged to experience.
Unfortunately, his father, who had always maintained a heavy practice, contracted pneumonia and died when Campbell was five years old. His mother shouldered the responsibility of the family and the large plantation on which they lived. The trades people of Albany never hesitated to lend her money or furnish her with supplies, for well they knew that when her crops came in, they would have their money. Therefore, Mrs. Davis had the respect and admiration of her community.
Campbell received his fundamentals of education in Albany. Then he entered the University of
Georgia where he received his A.B. degree in 1888.
Besides having a father who was a doctor, Campbell also had a brother, W. L., who practiced in
Albany. The medical strain in the Davis issue was and is a rather dominant one. Therefore, Campbell decided to study medicine. He then entered the University of Louisville in Kentucky for that purpose. It was there he graduated in medicine in '92.
From then on Edward Campbell Davis was professionally known as Dr. E. C. Davis. He had always liked Atlanta, so there, on a summer's day, he came to pursue the practice of surgery. Without delay, Dr. Davis entered into an association with Dr. C. D. Hurt.
While Dr. Davis was laying the foundation of his practice, he took some time out to fulfill his social engagements. It was due to this fact that a very lovely girl, with hair of yellow gold, eyes the color of the sea, fair of skin and beautifully curved, met her fortune. She was none other than Maria Carter, a direct descendent of the famous King Carter of colonial days in Virginia. Strange as it may seem, tho' Maria lived on the same street as Dr. Davis in Albany, they had never met.
Maria was educated at Lucy Cobb and among the many friends she made there was Carolyn Sisson, of Wisteria Hall, Kirkwood. These girls became good friends and continued to keep up their friendship after leaving college. Carolyn wrote to Maria of a young surgeon, Dr. E. C. Davis, of Albany, whom she would like for her to meet. So, with the aid of Carolyn and Wisteria Hall, they met.
The setting for the wooing of Maria Carter by Dr. E. C. Davis was ideal. Hence, it was in a mellow month, aglow with the fiery flames of fall subdued only by the light of a harvest moon, that Venus fanned a smouldering ember on the altar of love for them. From then on there arose between them a comfortable correspondence, but, due to Maria's indecision, it dwindled and disappeared.
While Maria remained thus in maiden meditation, Dr. Davis was asked to join Governor Atkinson's party on a good will trip to Mexico. Although he was delayed and missed the Governor's train, he managed to catch up with the party in Louisiana and made a memorable trip of it. In this manner and in other pursuits, he was able to bide his time as he waited around for Maria. Destiny now played her hand for this young couple. The Maine, while lying languidly in the waters of Havana harbor, was sunk. So, then, there was the Maine for the Americans to remember. Of course, war was declared. Governor Atkinson immediately appointed Dr. Davis as Captain of the Second Georgia Volunteer Infantry in 1898.
On his way to serve his country in the Spanish-American War, Captain Davis was sent by way of his home, Albany, to his station in Florida. Here, Maria, with many others of his town's people, was there to wish him God's speed. Then it was that the sight of dashing Dr. Davis in the decorative uniform of his country began to make up Maria's mind for her and win her heart. Therefore, their discontinued correspondence was resumed in earnest. Dr. Davis often laughingly said he had to go to Cuba to get her for his wife.
While he was stationed near Tampa, an epidemic of typhoid fever raged among his soldiers. He immediately began the organization of a hospital to give adequate care to the sick. He worked tirelessly day and night only taking a few hours of rest and these limited by the clock or the call of his orderly. During the peak of this crisis, General O'Reilly sent word for him to report to his office for some routine matter. Dr. Davis sent the general a message stating he would come only if a doctor was sent to relieve him. There was marked apprehension by the staff that he might be severely reprimanded or even court-martialed. However, he was not. Dr. Davis was a firm believer in doing his duty no matter what the cost to himself. A promotion to Major was given Captain Davis for his outstanding work during this time.
A grateful brother of one of the doctor's patients presented him with a United States flag. This flag is now a Davis family treasure. Major Davis served his country from the spring until fall; he was then mustered out at Piedmont Park.
Back again he went to his Atlanta practice now working with Dr. J. B. S. Holmes at his sanatorium on Cain Street.
In June, the month of brides and roses, in the year 1899, Dr. E. C. Davis took Maria Carter for his wife. After their honeymoon they lived for a short time at the Sanatorium. From there, they moved into their first home Pine Street. With these two there was such a perfect surrender to their love that the beautiful words of Edgar Alien Poe's poem "Annabel Lee" are comparable, thus quoting "But we loved with a love that was more than love I and my Annabel Lee".
Dr. Davis' practice continued to grow rapidly. After a short period of being out for himself, Dr. L. C. Fischer became associated with him. Their offices were located in the English American Building at Peachtree and Broad Streets. There it was that these two young surgeons had the vision of their great hospital to serve the sick as a haven of help, health, hope and happiness. Drs. Davis and Fischer opened their hospital on Crew Street in 1908. From this cornerstone, Davis-Fischer Sanatorium arose. A few years later they moved their hospital to Linden Street and the growth of Davis-Fischer Sanatorium was miraculous. Their hospital, still located on the same site in this year of 1949, occupies almost an entire city block in the heart of Atlanta. However, it is now known as the Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital.
The skill of Dr. Davis was such that even his family would have no other doctor to operate upon them. Mrs. Davis' sister had had an attack of appendicitis while on a stay in Paris but refused surgical aid so as to have him remove her appendix. During the same week of her operation, he also operated on his own sister.
Dr. E. C. Davis always kept pace with the progress of his profession. He bought the first Kimble tube used here for direct transfusion. It was immediately put into use where a life was despaired of, resulting in the recovery of the patient. He also bought and installed the first freezing microtome used here. Henceforth, fresh tissue sections could immediately be prepared and diagnosed on all cases of suspected cancer, to determine the extent of the surgery needed while the patient was still on the operating table.
Furthermore, he was one of the earliest believers in and users of the aseptic and antiseptic technic in surgery. He learned to use rubber gloves with dexterity while most surgeons of those days felt clumsy and deprived of the sense of feeling during an operation when wearing them, on account of their thickness.
His greatest feats were accomplished by his skill and originality in gynecologic and abdominal surgery.
Dr. Davis was always prompt in the operating room. He began his surgery at or before 8 o'clock each morning. He could easily conclude five or more operations before noon. In addition, he would have numerous emergencies carried in day or night from a radius of 300 miles or more. It was not uncommon for him to operate on a patient brought from a great distance with an acute suppurative appendix.
During the day Dr. Davis would take time out only for a short lunch. Then, back to work again. He was constantly surrounded by doctors, interns and nurses as he made his rounds where he not infrequently had 20 or more patients in the hospital. Besides being one of the South's most distinguished surgeons, he was one of the best loved of his time. To the young doctors he meant much for not only was he their surgical hero, but friend as well.
Next to surgery his greatest medical love was obstetrics. This he practiced with the strictest adherence to cleanliness and antiseptic technic in both the home and delivery room. He was almost uncanny in recognizing the signs of eclampsia and other toxemias of pregnancy. The expectant mother under his care had constant supervision administered through observation, examinations and laboratory checks on both urine and blood at regular intervals.
Besides Dr. Davis' practice he held the position of Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology for 20 years at the Atlanta School of Medicine, which is now a part of Emory University. He was nearly always in attendance at the medical meetings held by the county, state and the national societies. Being a master of precision, he wrote many scientific papers and was a much sought after speaker at the medical meetings.
In 1914, Dr. Davis took part in a Clinical Congress held in London. While he was there World War I broke out in Europe. He had to return home by steerage and was landed at Quebec. Little then did he know that this same war would return him to Europe with the silver leaf of a Lieutenant-Colonel on his shoulder.
Dr. Davis was quite a family man. He and Mrs. Davis had eight children, namely, Shelley C., Catherine, Page, E. C., Jr., Ria, Robert Carter, Sarah and Teddy. Never was he happier than when his children were clustered around him. Another pleasure enjoyed by the doctor and his children were their expeditions to Kamper's where he bought them just anything they wanted.
As an aid to Dr. and Mrs. Davis, their nursery was adequately staffed by a competent colored woman, who was affectionately called "Nursie" by her charges.
Dr. Davis' whimsical sense of humor was shown by the names of his three horses of his horse and buggy days. They were Faith, Hope and Charity. Long after their master was using a horseless carriage in his practice, these horses remained in the Davis stables.
At the Davis home there was always a member of the family or a friend staying with them. Once two friends of theirs, a man and his wife, were in need of housing. The husband asked Dr. Davis if they could stay for a while with them. Dr. Davis told him to ask Mrs. Davis. He did. They stayed five years. There was only once in the entire married life of Dr. and Mrs. Davis when they were left alone for a second honeymoon without family, friends, or the eight children.
Dr. Davis enjoyed vacationing at Pass-a-Grille, Florida. He and Mrs. Davis would take the small children with them and leave the others at home. During these periods of relaxation Dr. Davis asked no more of any one of them than to catch a tarpon his favorite sport.
At the outbreak of World War I, Dr. Davis was asked by the American Red Cross to organize the Emory Unit. He was chosen on account of his fine record in the Spanish- American War. He, of course, took on the job and the Emory Unit was months in the making. He was also placed on the examining board. Dr. Davis was commissioned a Lieutenant-Colonel of the Unit, and made medical director of the unit when it was named Base Hospital 43 in its overseas duty.
As a result of Colonel Davis' capable and courageous discharge of his duties in the theater of action, he was awarded a certificate of merit by General John J. Pershing, decorated by King Alexander of Greece, and given membership in the Knights of the Ancient Order of Our Saviour.
On account of Colonel Davis' strenuous work in the organization of the Unit and his activity overseas, he became ill. He returned home and his ship reached Newport News on November 11, 1918, the day of the signing of the Armistice.
After a brief interlude, Dr. Davis resumed his practice. He was later joined by his son, Dr. Shelley C. Davis, who had been thoroughly trained in surgery at home and abroad.
Dr. E. C. Davis received many deserved honors. He was President of the Fulton County Medical Society and the Medical Association of Georgia. He was early made a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. His University of Georgia called upon him for a Commencement Oration. Emory University conferred upon him an LL.D. Base Hospital 43 gave his portrait in uniform to the Emory Hall of Fame.
Dr. E. C. Davis retired from the active practice of medicine in 1929 due to his failing health. He finally lost his eyesight but in the home he loved so well he could move about at ease with Mrs. Davis seeing to it that everything was left just as he remembered it.
In his last illness Dr. Davis was a patient at Davis-Fischer with Mrs. Davis constantly at his side. Despite his illness, Dr. Davis, always the acute diagnostician, heard of the severe sickness of one of his nurses. Her case had remained undiagnosed. On hearing of her symptoms he recognized them as those of diphtheria and saw to it that she had immediate attention.
Dr. E. C. Davis died at Davis-Fischer Sanatorium, Atlanta, on March 11, 1931.
He left many legacies: to his country, eight children and twenty-four grandchildren; to his profession, his devoted disciples and two sons, Dr. Shelley C. Davis, surgeon, and Dr. Robert Carter Davis, internist, both practicing in Atlanta; to his children, intelligence, individuality and integrity, and to his wife, the sweetest memory ever treasured.
To Dr. E. C. Davis, a monument to his profession and a dutiful son to his country, there can be no better tribute paid than this quotation from the Star-Spangled Banner:
"Tis the star-spangled banner, Oh long may it wave, O'er the land of the free and the home of
the brave."


More About DOCTOR EDWARD CAMPBELL DAVIS:
Burial: Unknown, Westview Cemetery by the main road, Atlanta Georgia

More About MARIA ROSALIE CARTER:
Burial: Unknown, Westview Cemetery by the main road, Atlanta Georgia

Marriage Notes for EDWARD DAVIS and MARIA CARTER:
June 14th 1899
Albany Herald
DAVIS.CARTER

The Beautiful Home Wedding of Dr. E. C. Davis and Miss Ria Carter

At the home of the bride's parent's, Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Carter, Dr. Edwin Campbell
Davis and Miss Mariah Rosa Carter, were united in the holy bonds of wedlock at the hour
of high noon today. The wedding was an exceedingly quiet one, only the immediate
relatives and a few dear friends of the contracting parties being present, but it was one of
the most beautiful and impressive marriages that ever occurred in Albany.
The Carter home was elaborately and beautifully decorated for the occasion, and
everywhere graceful garlands of bamboo, exquisite bunches of ferns and beautiful clusters
of cut flowers were artistically arranged. The two parlors, especially, were most beautifully
decorated. The front parlor, in which the marriage occurred, was decorated in greens and
white flowers and the rear parlor, where the handsome wedding presents were displayed,
was tastefully decorated with greens and yellow flowers.
Promptly at 12 o'clock Mrs T. N. Woolfolk sounded the first notes of Mendelsohn
wedding march, and the bridal party entered the front parlor from the room in the rear. First
came Mr. and Mrs. Carter and then came the bride leaning on the arm of the groom. The
couple took their stand in front of Rev. Chas. T. Wright, who performed the beautiful
ceremony which made them man and wife.
Never has a bride looked more pure, sweet and lovely than did Miss Carter as she
entered the room leaning on the arm of of the man who had won her heart and hand. She
wore a simple,but lovely gown of white China silk. The ribbon at the neck was caught
together by a diamond and pearl pin which was the room's present to her. In her hand she
bore a bridal bouquet of white carnations
As soon as the ceremony was over the happy couple received a shower of
congratulations and best wishes from those present.
After the ceremony the guests were ushered into the rear parlor, where they were
served with delicious tea punch and an elegant lunch of the most dainty and palatable
edibles.
The bride is one of Albany's fairest and most accomplished daughters. She is the
possessor of a happy disposition and a beautiful character, and, as Miss Carter, she has
been the recipient of many charming attentions from a host of friends and admirers.
The groom, Dr. E. C. Davis, is one of the most prominent physicians of the state,
being an assistant in the Holmes Sanitarium, of Atlanta. He is the son of Mrs. E. C. Davis,
and is an Albany boy whom Albany is proud to claim.
Dr. and Mrs. Davis received a large number of beautiful and handsome presents,
which testified to their popularity.
The happy couple left on the G. & A. train at 2:15 o'clock this afternoon for Atlanta,
where they will make their future home at the Halcyon, Dr Holmes' Sanitarium.
The HERALD joins their many friends in extending its congratulations and in wishing
for then a long wedded life and a happy one.

iv. EDWINA THEODORE LAMAR DAVIS, b. Bet. 1870 - 1872, Unknown; d. Unknown, UNKNOWN.

Notes for EDWINA THEODORE LAMAR DAVIS:
Member of N.S.D.A.R.


3. JOSEPH E.2 DAVIS, DR (WILLIAM LEWIS1) was born 1826 in Albany, Georgia, and died Unknown in Unknown. He married SARAH ELIZABETH MOUGHON.

Notes for JOSEPH E. DAVIS, DR:
Notes of this was article written and typed by Angeline Knapp Davis Lanier (NSMcF)

JOSEPH DAVIS married Sarah Elizabeth Moughon the daughter of a wealthy planter in
west .Dougherty County Joseph practiced with his older brother William Lewis until his
death and then moved to Atlanta. This union had one son William Joseph who became
a successful Atlanta businessman.

Found this but not sure it is our Joseph
ROSTER OF THE MEDICAL OFFICERS OF THE ARMY OF TENNESSEE.
During the Civil War Between the Northern and Southern States, 1861-1865. Consolidated from the Original Medical- Director's Records.
By JOSEPH JONES, M. D., LL. D.
Page192 Southern Historical Society Papers.
DAVIS, J., Surgeon, Sept. 30, '63. Oct. 31, '63, 50th Georgia Regiment.

Child of JOSEPH DAVIS and SARAH MOUGHON is:
i. WILLIAM JOSEPH3 DAVIS.

 
 

Thanks toHidden Ancestors for hosting this site!

County Coordinator:

Georgia State Coordinator:
Ed Gordon

Assistant State Coordinator:
Vivian Price Saffold

Last Updated: 

Copyright © 2007-Present - Christina Palmer-The GAGenWeb Project - All Rights Reserved