WELCOME TO
WILKES COUNTY, GEORGIA

The GAGenWeb Project and The USGenWeb Project

&

The AHGP Project

 
   

Phillips Mill Baptist Church

excerpt from the book, "Our McGinty Family in America" by Jerry McGinty

"The Phillips Mill Baptist Church was founded June 10, 1785, by sixteen members who met at the home of George Lea.  The first meetings were held at the grist mill owned by Joel Phillips. On August 5, 1786, church member, Joel Phillips (Sr.), conveyed land to pastor, Silas Mercer for a new church site (Wilkes Co. deed book SS, pg. 54). The church was later moved to itís current location, about four miles from this original site. Silas Mercer, one of the great Baptist preachers in early GA, was the first pastor.  Silas came from the church at Kiokee, which was the first Baptist church in GA, established in 1772. It was located about twenty miles northwest of Augusta GA.  His son, Jesse Mercer and Robert McGinty were both received into the Phillips Mill church by profession of faith and baptized by Silas in 1787.  Jesse was fifteen years old and Robert, about thirty-seven. They remained close associates in the Baptist church for the rest of their lives." Submited by: Jerry McGinty

Photos Submited by: Jerry McGinty

Transciption from Historical Marker.....On June 10, 1785, 16 members met in a mill on this site owned by Joel Phillips, a Revolutionary soldier, and organized the Phillips Mill Baptist Church. The Rev. Silas Mercer, leader of the group, became the first pastor of the church, and served in this capacity for 11 years. His son, Jesse Mercer, was received into the church July 7, 1787, at the age of eighteen. Later he was ordained to the ministry in the old church, and followed his father as its pastor, serving the church for thirty-seven years.

The present edifice is the second to be built on the site, which was donated to the church by Joel Phillips. Since its organization, many important conferences have been held in the Phillips Mill Church, and young men whose names are now famous in the ministry have preached their first sermons here.

Photos below Submitted by Christina Palmer

Historical Maker Stone erected by the Children of Silas Mercer  
     

Phillips Mill Baptist Church

Founded May 7, 1785 in

Joes Phillips Grist Mill

Milstones are original from Joel Phillips

were imported from the Paris Basin in Europe

Rock are fromt he First Church Pillow.

Marker given in Memory of Mrs. Matte S. Johnson

erected in memory of Silas Mercer    

 

 
 

Thanks toHidden Ancestors for hosting this site!

County Coordinator:

Georgia State Coordinator:
Ed Gordon

Assistant State Coordinator:
Vivian Price Saffold

Last Updated: 

Copyright © 2007-Present - Christina Palmer-The GAGenWeb Project - All Rights Reserved